Hydro Space / Abysmal Explorer computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svs3

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What does anyone know what's up with the abyss explorer computer? I know it has gone in to production but I figured that if it performed as advertised I'd hear all about it. But I've heard nothing but vague rumbling and grumbling on other lists and boards. What gives? Anyone know?

Not planning to buy one just curious,
Sam

Like you, I haven't actually seen one of these yet, but there sure is a lot of ARGHGH posting going on. Repeated posts about the things just dying, a couple about them flooding, etc.

They're new, so hopefully they will get the bugs worked out. Here's hoping, anyway, these things have been on my wish list for a long time.

I love it, I have the mixed gas version.. got it in february and have atleast 75 dives on it (probably more), I liked it so much I have second one (on order) as a backup

The trimix version of the Abyss Explorer is about US$1,400.00 a pop, not including storage box, lens protector, batteries and whatever else. Batteries cost about $10.00 don't have a very long life due to the computational requirements of the computer. At least they're user changeable. This comes close to be a significant expense in my book, so I'm still waiting to see if they fly a little better than the first reports. Those that have received functional models seem to really like them thus far. Below a couple of hundred fsw or so nothing will ever replace custom runtimes on wetnotes, but I like the idea of some on-the-fly confirmation.

Available from Abysmal at www.abysmal.com, once you buy one it will take months for delivery.

Steven

This may be more of a question for the tek section, but I'll try it here first.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used (or even heard of!) the HS Explorer Tri-mix computer. Check it out at
http://www.oxycheq.com/HS_Explorer.html
It looks like it may be a good one, but you never know until you try it.
I'm looking for an alternative to the VR3, as I find the display way too small, and this one seems to be a little larger, as well as a little more user friendly.

Originally posted by aquanut
This may be more of a question for the tek section, but I'll try it here first.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used (or even heard of!) the HS Explorer Tri-mix computer. Check it out at
http://www.oxycheq.com/HS_Explorer.html
It looks like it may be a good one, but you never know until you try it.
I'm looking for an alternative to the VR3, as I find the display way too small, and this one seems to be a little larger, as well as a little more user friendly.

This is the OEM version of the AByss explorer.. There are slight differences in the deco alg, but otherwise they are the same computer..

I Have one of the earliest Abysmal explorers and am quite happy with it.. I have sold a bunch on the A.E. in the past and have spoke to Patrick about the OEM version.
The home page is http://www.hs-eng.com

I downloaded the simulator software for the Hydrotech Explorer to have a look at what it can do and I very much like what I have seen so far, as it appears very flexible and user friendly. However it is a sophisticated instrument and not suitable for the uninitiated. Perhaps it could be compared to a Harrier STOL fighter. It can do very complex manoeuvres but it can also be used as a more simple device depending on the ability of the user to program it properly.

What I like is the ability to use the dive computer itself as a means of generating a set of tables "in the field" and to print them out on a PC (at least in theory) and take the computer along as backup, if not the primary electronic "table". Unlike the VR3, which I understand does not, you can choose the algorithm to suit your own circumstances and the circumstances of the proposed dive (including RGBM which is to added this year, I gather). It also appears to have a very readable screen with a backlight

I have five questions around, what I consider to be it's shortcomings.

1) Although it has a buzzer, which works when you press one of the buttons (if switched on) it has no audible alarms when on a dive. For instance when you are approaching, or have exceeded, your no stop limit. Nor does it have an audible alarm to warn you that a gas change is due. Is this an oversight as both of these would be extremely useful?

2) While it allows you to look at OTUs I can find no referece anywhere about CNS oxygen toxicity. For example it gives you no warning if you have - or will exceed - the NOAA limits for oxygen CNS exposure during a actual or a planned dive> Nor does it appear to provide you with any sort of alrm if you exceed a particular pp O2 (such as 1.6 bar).

3) Perhaps it the is the fault of the design of the simulator program, rather than the computer itself, but when running a simulated dive the bottom timer appears to stop when you start to ascend so you cannot tally planned run times with what the computer says during decompression.

4) I think the generated decompression tables will be very useful but I am having considerable difficulties in tranferring the data into an excel spreadsheet, which is a real pain.

5) It has taken me literally hours to decipher how the buttons are used. Now I have cracked it the code it is simplicity itself but it does not read in the manual that way.

I very much like the idea of being able to see what you are paying for before you buy and to be able to download the simulator, as so many computer manufacturers rely on recommendation and word of mouth only. I can get no information about the new VR3 for example.

However I am saving my pennies. Is there a UK supplier? If there is I cannot find him!

This computer is designed for the Tech diver and its definitions are as such.. Deco times are just that they are NOT part of bottom time.... so once you start you deco BT ceases... it does track the total run time though.. There is also a seperate count for TTS (time to surface) which includes calculated ascent time plus deco obligations under currant programmed mix switches.

I use the abysmal explorer version of this computer since it has a constant PO2 mode... The latest manual is pretty good.. In use all planned gas switches are confirmed (the unit will blink the mix #) by holding the left button to a count of 3, to do a manual gas switch hold both buttons in a "1" will blink, select the appropiate mix then confirm holding the left button for a count of 3

On the latest version the PO2 can be altered underwater seperate from a programmed mix.

Thanks,

it does track the total run time though.
Where and how? Is run time not displayed on the simulator, Joe? TTS is (which includes deco, when needed).

In use all planned gas switches are confirmed
But, for the absent-minded professor-type like me you have to remember your planned gas changes in OC and if you forget under the influence of N2 you could be in deep doo-doo.

My level of expertise has not reached the use of rebreathers but one feature that I think might be useful in CC is a transmitter sensor from the loop sensing pp O2 to the computer.

I believe that is what the Buddy Nexus will do.

Do you print out your tables?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom