Hydro Space / Abysmal Explorer computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro once bubbled...

The computers are definately a Godsend when you planned a 50m dive and conditions limit you to doing a closer wreck in 30m.. I don't think others on the boat appreciate you hanging for 60 minutes after everyone else was onboard waiting to move to another divesite.. With my RB its not uncommon for me to do 2 to 3 hour dives, any unnecessary hanging is greatly appreciated..

If you plan a dive to 50m and have the tables for them and it turns out to be a 30m dive you DONT do decompression for a 50m dive, rather there are 'rules of the battlefield' to adjust your decompression to fit your actual dive profile.
I know you can do this but i'll be sure to mention that at this point i dont know how, needles to say i will wait doing 50m dives requiring decompression until after the Tech 1 class :D

a neverending learning curve isnt it :goofy:

I understand the point your trying to make sheck33 and I do use tables when I dive. I use the Abyss Decompression software from Abysmal, to generate my dive & bail out tables. I also use a computer and a bottom timer. However I also strongly agree with madmole. I think dive computers make diving more fun, more versatile and if used properly can make those tech dives even safer. I like using tools that in my opinion, make my life easier. We are all different in the choices that we make and what works for some may not be just right for others. But for those that find that a dive computer some how adds to their diving fun, then let them to it. I have two computers and wear them both on every dive. But non of them have the capabilities of the Abyss Explorer. …………………………..Arduous

Who has one? Any problems? What do you like about it? Can it be set to give deep stops? If not and you just make deep stops do you get credit for them? I am about to order one and just want to get peoples opinion of them before I do.

Thanks in advance!

lucid once bubbled...
Who has one? Any problems? What do you like about it? Can it be set to give deep stops? If not and you just make deep stops do you get credit for them? I am about to order one and just want to get peoples opinion of them before I do.

Thanks in advance!

When in RGBM mode (full RGBM not the partial implementation suunto does) deep stops are generated and mandatory, if you skip them its like you blew the deco.. in buhlman mode it doesn't generate deep stops but credit is given for off gassing at depths.

d/l the manual at www.hs-eng.com

Don't buy the computer from abysmal by the OEM version available through oxycheq. www.oxycheq.com

any qs just drop me a line I'm both a long time user ( one of the first users - about 2 years) and a dealer ..

I am contemplating :doctor: buying the HS Explorer comp. For the price vs. capacity it seems to be a better buy then the VR3. Does anyone out there have a opignion on that? As well, I am not sure if I should go with the Abyss model, which is running a different algorithm. Has anyone compared the two and come to any conclusions? Thanks for your help. :wink:

I know 3 buddies who have Explorers. None of them have worked correctly since they've had them, and one locked up last weekend and never did clear. They have been upgraded to the RGBM tables.

And, did you know that the operation is dependent on descending at **least** 33 fpm? That makes some deco based shore dives somewhat difficult.

Just MO

MD

That does not sound good!!! Maybe your buddies are still too unfamillar with the device.

I am unsure about your comment on shore dives??? You mean that if you hit the water and swim for awhile on the bottom and don't immediately descend to your bottom plan that the computer will give faulty deco results? Can you elaborate a bit on that? Thanks. :mean:

MechDiver once bubbled...
I know 3 buddies who have Explorers. None of them have worked correctly since they've had them, and one locked up last weekend and never did clear. They have been upgraded to the RGBM tables.

And, did you know that the operation is dependent on descending at **least** 33 fpm? That makes some deco based shore dives somewhat difficult.

Just MO

MD

Thats not really true.. However RGBM will penalize you for a slower descent.. The explorer can also run in buhlman mode, choose the appropriate model for the type of diving you are going to do.. the model CAN be switched between dives also since tissue loading is always calculated for both models..

The buhlman mode has been rock solid, Gene found an obscure bug in the RGBM code but it woudn't locked someone out(or gave incorrect deco info).. if you blew a deep stop under RGBM you MUST go back and clear it period, no if ands or buts.. It will then only function as a timer and depth guage for 24 hours since there is no predictable way to account for the bubble growth created by skipping a mandatory stop.. blowing a deep stop in RGBM is not the same as doing it under Buhlman.. the time for a blown stop is only credited at 1/60 of real time, if you remove the battery trying to trick the unit the time will start all over.

I was one of the first people to get an explorer, I had some very reliable functionality, then after a few upgrades ran int a few bugs last summer.. I also tested the oxygen cell version for him.. its tracks perfectly.. The RGBM is nice but on most profiles I'd rather use Buhlman, and save the RGBM stuff for square profiles..

There was also something that wasn't documented until recently on the wake up circuitry, if you activated the computer and stayed in the water with the unit submerged (but not in dive mode) after the 30 minute timeout the unit went to sleep like it is supposed to, but unless you took the unit momentarily out of the water it wouldn't wake up.. Gene recently figured a way to do it while still maintaiing power efficiency..

I also have a VR3 and its relagated to my 2nd backup (I carry 3 computers).. My main complaint is that the display is not very readable, but the new software does make a big imporvement.

For ease of use the explorer is great.. Also be careful which Explorer you have.. some dealers were selling out of date AByss explorers.. (you can tell by the screws - the new units have standard screws), There was a recall in early august but recalled computers were being sold up until november! If you bought anything after september from a Hydrospace dealer there was only the 2 issues I spoke of..(both corrected and bug upgrades will be free)

The PO2 logging on the o2 version is great.. you can track the po2 fluctuations throught the entire dive..

No computer is perfect and as complex as the explore is bugs have to be expected.. look at how many fixes had to be done to the VR3 as well.. except you have to pay for them.. I just sent mine in for upgrades it was over $150. The only upgrade Gene charged for was adding RGBM functionality and it was only a $50 upgrade.. all other fixes have been free.

The operation, as told to my friend by the inventor, requires a constant 33fpm descent to your target depth in order for the gas switches to work correctly, along with some other hokey time limit for something. We have seen this numerous times in the water, as well as lock ups and total failure of the unit. On the other hand my slate and B/T have yet to lock up or miss a gas change.

Sorry, I'm totally unimpressed with the Explorer.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
The operation, as told to my friend by the inventor, requires a constant 33fpm descent to your target depth in order for the gas switches to work correctly, along with some other hokey time limit for something. We have seen this numerous times in the water, as well as lock ups and total failure of the unit. On the other hand my slate and B/T have yet to lock up or miss a gas change.

Sorry, I'm totally unimpressed with the Explorer.

MD

Ahhh, I know what you are talking about your friend mis-understood...
The 1 ata/min is for the "automatic" gas switches that enables the diver to do single button gas switch confirmation..
If the descent takes longer it starts cancelling programmed gas switches from the deepest to the shallowest..
its also not just 33fpm its actually 33fpm or 5 mins whichever is longer.. if you need longer plan a dummy gas switch to depth that would cover your anticipated decent time. its CLEARLY detailed in the current manual.
You can also always do a manual gas switch, the computer will calculate based on whatever gas you switch to.. BTW I never program in switch depths myself. I always do manual gas switches.. but for example if you need a decent time of 10 mins, plan a gas switch (same as your descent mix) for 330 fsw. The only purpose for programmed gas switches is to plan TTS based on predetermined gas switches.. If you plan your dive ahead of time (we all do.. don't we) its of no consequence.
If you friend didn't do the gas switches and "blew" his deco according to the computer it will not do deco calcs but functions only as depth/bottom timer.. also like I said earlier you cant try and fool the computer for safety it prevents you from screwing with its timer.

I found out what the obscure bug is/was.. It was an altitude bug that caused the computer to lock up.. It has to do with the way RMBM handles altitude which is different than any other alg out there..(it wouldn't have happened in Buhlman mode). Remember no one else has gotten RGBM to work in a dive computer, BWs code and explinations aren't clear. Its corrected now.. It would have only showed up for deep long dives at high altitudes.. The person who locked it up was doing dives at 5k feet above sea level to dives >200fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom