Hydro Space / Abysmal Explorer computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bail out tables are always on my Dive slate...

The simulator is not a perfect reprtesentaion of the dive.. The full dive time is shown in the dive log.. and during surface interval..

The O2 transmitter which the VR3 also has to me is just another wire.. I don't mind having to change the compter when I change setppoints.. In fact many times I have the computer think the setpoint is actually lower than actual.. I might tell the computer I'm using a 1.2 and fly a 1.3 or tell the computer I'm using 1.3 and fly 1.35 or 1.4 or better.. for all my deco the computer thinks I'm at 1.3 and I try andd run the 6m as close to 1.6 and the 3m as colse to 1.3 so I build in some safety margin..

Question on the Abyss Explorer computer. Earlier posts on this product have been less than promising, yet this computer interests me. As with many new products, sometimes it takes a little time to work all the bugs out. I know there are divers on the board that use this computer. Have you been happy with your computer or have you been continually plagued with problems ??

……………………Arduous

Up until last week I have had zero problems with my abyss.. I had over 200 dives with depths to 300. They were very good with upgrades, I had one of the first computers shipped, they listened to suggestions and updated the software many times.. I started out with v1.06 (the first version released), went through a few intermediate upgrades and it now sits at V1.18.. The comparison sheet (at last look) on the Vr3 site has some inaccuracies mostly with the PO2 functions.. On the abyss you can change Po2 setpoints (added last november) underwater to anything from .4 to 1.8, along with multiple diluent mixes.

I sent the unit in for an upgrade to a new case... well it turns out the new case has a problems, and the previously recalled computers will be recalled again..

There was a recall that was a preventative measure, there was some indication that the material being used could become brittle, they changed to a different material and found a slight problem that caused flooding on a few computers (mine was one of them) they are going to replace it under warranty, and now know the cause, the replacement cases should be in this week.

I have owned many computers and thgis is by far my favorite, I like the VR3 but it still needs a much bigger display and is too heavy..

I use an abyss as a primary computer, and either a chochran commander (2 po2 model) as backup on "air" based diluent dives or the VR3 when doing mixed gas dives.

The display on the VR3 is nice but I have some concerns, it appears that it is an indiglo display (I may be wrong) and these are known to become dimmer as time passes. I have a watch with an indiglo display that is only about a 1.5 years old and it has noticibly dimmed (yes the batteries are new, it doesn't make a difference)

Joe

Thanks for the reply padiscubapro. I have read about the recalls concerning the brittle cases and the flooding problem. It’s nice to hear from someone who has dove with the computer as many times as you have. I’m not quite ready to buy just yet, (Not in my current budget) but I am looking seriously at this computer.

......................Arduous

Arduous once bubbled...
Thanks for the reply padiscubapro. I have read about the recalls concerning the brittle cases and the flooding problem. It’s nice to hear from someone who has dove with the computer as many times as you have. I’m not quite ready to buy just yet, (Not in my current budget) but I am looking seriously at this computer.

......................Arduous

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to buy this computer?
Are you planning on doing the decompression on the fly and relying solely on the computer(s) you carry?
You can plan a decompression dive at home, print decotables & contingency tables, laminate them and take them with you, unless you loose them they are failsafe...:confused:
Of course that why it might be wise to make a backup copy.

And in which case, what do you do when the wreck is deeper than you planned or because of the weather you dive another completely different dive site

You'd be very popular on most boats doing the deco for the aborted 45m dive on the new 30m dive cos thats the tables you have. Face reality, Computers ARE tables, just more adaptable. If your worried about backups wear 2 (or 2 and a bottom timer like me). I still plan my dives before hand (Deco and gas) and DO have tables in my pockets.

Diving with 1 computer and no backup tables IS stupid. Planning redundancy with 2 computers and using them to their full ability is sensible and more practical. Heck my VR3 even does deep stops and recommends gas changes and can be changed while on the dive. something tables cant do easily.

What do you do if your deco mix blows up and you end up sharing your buddies and he's got 5% less O2 in his than you planned

Dont come down on other people who have found solutions to their diving problems that are not the same as yours. As long as they have thought out the failure modes and allowed for them they will be safe (and in the case of computers, much more fun to dive with as they will get a longer dive)

madmole once bubbled...
And in which case, what do you do when the wreck is deeper than you planned or because of the weather you dive another completely different dive site

You'd be very popular on most boats doing the deco for the aborted 45m dive on the new 30m dive cos thats the tables you have. Face reality, Computers ARE tables, just more adaptable. If your worried about backups wear 2 (or 2 and a bottom timer like me). I still plan my dives before hand (Deco and gas) and DO have tables in my pockets.

Diving with 1 computer and no backup tables IS stupid. Planning redundancy with 2 computers and using them to their full ability is sensible and more practical. Heck my VR3 even does deep stops and recommends gas changes and can be changed while on the dive. something tables cant do easily.

What do you do if your deco mix blows up and you end up sharing your buddies and he's got 5% less O2 in his than you planned

Dont come down on other people who have found solutions to their diving problems that are not the same as yours. As long as they have thought out the failure modes and allowed for them they will be safe (and in the case of computers, much more fun to dive with as they will get a longer dive)

Well first of all i never claimed that computers are not tables and i totally agree that i some cases computers are more practical.
Secondly i am not coming down on anybody:fight:

computers however have some significant problems.
A few of which i have run into using one or diving with people that use one.
Most divecomputers lock up after violating them which of course is an insane design because not every computer 'violation' means you did something wrong.
Using divecomputers stops people from thinking!! In a rescue class a diver using a computer was bringing up a victim from 30 ft and stopped to do a safety stop because his computer indicated one!!!:confused:
a lot of computers i have seen are confusing and have cluttered hard to read screens that also provide useless information.
Most divecomputers are ridiculously conservative (liability issues no doubt)
The option of having 2 decompression capable on a dive just is an expensive one.
A lot of divers i run into that use computers are clueless when it comes to tables.

as i said, i was not coming down on anyone merely curious as to why someone would want to spend a lot of money on that computer when he/she could achieve better results with a bottom timer/depth gauge and PC deco software. :mean:

Then I'm sorry if I had a rant.

Computers are a lot more flexible than tables, and yes in a square profile they are more conservative (a good thing), but as most dives are definately not square profile they normally allow a longer BT.

Yes they do cost (but doesn't everything). I also have a issue with any training agency that allows any diver near the water with a certificate that cant work a table (Another standard thats dropped over the last 20 years).

There is also the issue as to the model the table or computer supports. I've seen enough evidence that Haldean tables are not the whole story so nowadays I wouldn't dive using the Padi, BSAC 88, US Navy, or Buhlmann tables. I've swapped to RGBM based models and feel a lot better for using them

The problem is not what you use to plan your dive. Its that folks do NOT plan them beforehand (Deco and Gas) and many just dont understand the consequences of the descisions (or lack of) they make. Back to poor training again.

Personally I think that "Put Another Dollar In" have a lot to answer for in their quest for profit over Instruction. 20 years ago they were a good agency now, I'm suprised they dont require you to attend the "How to open your wallet" certification before they speak to you. The other agencies have been forced into catch up and have lowered their standards. Now we have AOW divers who know less than a "Novice Diver" of 10 years ago (They did deco theory and rescue).

By the way in England "to be certified" is to be sent to a mental institution. Pretty apt!. Were still lucky here in that we have a club/branch training system that relies on people teaching for free, and where the quality of training takes preference. But the "Professional Association of Drowning Instructors" are trying hard to get this made illegal as it hurts their profits

There you go 2 rants in a day on the same thread. I'm going to bed now:wink:

"Professional Association of Drowning Instructors"

Thats the best one i have heard for a long time:rofL: :lol:

I guess we agree!

sheck33 once bubbled...

Well first of all i never claimed that computers are not tables and i totally agree that i some cases computers are more practical.
Secondly i am not coming down on anybody:fight:

computers however have some significant problems.
A few of which i have run into using one or diving with people that use one.
Most divecomputers lock up after violating them which of course is an insane design because not every computer 'violation' means you did something wrong.
Using divecomputers stops people from thinking!! In a rescue class a diver using a computer was bringing up a victim from 30 ft and stopped to do a safety stop because his computer indicated one!!!:confused:
a lot of computers i have seen are confusing and have cluttered hard to read screens that also provide useless information.
Most divecomputers are ridiculously conservative (liability issues no doubt)
The option of having 2 decompression capable on a dive just is an expensive one.
A lot of divers i run into that use computers are clueless when it comes to tables.

as i said, i was not coming down on anyone merely curious as to why someone would want to spend a lot of money on that computer when he/she could achieve better results with a bottom timer/depth gauge and PC deco software. :mean:

I plan ALL my dive before hand and have a set of bail out tables.. I know my deco gas bailout requirements (I did a rb so I just have to carry enough gas for a worse case bailout). I have 2 deco capable computers so I can run multi level dives and get out of the water faster than my worst case square profile..

The computers are definately a Godsend when you planned a 50m dive and conditions limit you to doing a closer wreck in 30m.. I don't think others on the boat appreciate you hanging for 60 minutes after everyone else was onboard waiting to move to another divesite.. With my RB its not uncommon for me to do 2 to 3 hour dives, any unnecessary hanging is greatly appreciated..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom