HYdro optix mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Denture Dan:
thanks for all of the information, i see this is something that I have to think about some more.

Dan
just bought one last week
luv the wide field of vision, 3 times wider than my old prescription mask
have a leak at the nose/lip area
I was told using a little vasoline would help with the leaking
going to try it next time in the water
anyone else found a fix for the leaking?

I too had a little problem with leakage. As a patch I had to wear the mask strap fairly tight and low around the back of my head. As a permanent fix I got their newest model that has a wider softer skirt. No leak problem with it. Unfortunately the Japanese aren't the only ones who are cursed with near-sightedness. This mask is the only thing I can think of that makes it a distinct advantage to be grusomely near sighted. Take your advantages where you find them http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif
:D

I don't understand why we would want to see "true size, shape and distance" I mean I sort of see it as if though God has provided us with a natural magnifying glass underwater, and we're trying to negate it.

WrmWtrDvr:
I too had a little problem with leakage. As a patch I had to wear the mask strap fairly tight and low around the back of my head. As a permanent fix I got their newest model that has a wider softer skirt. No leak problem with it. Unfortunately the Japanese aren't the only ones who are cursed with near-sightedness. This mask is the only thing I can think of that makes it a distinct advantage to be grusomely near sighted. Take your advantages where you find them http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif
:D

I've heard from a person that the newest model also gave him some leaks, how does it work for you?

chrispete:
There is supposed to be a version coming out at some point for 20/20 divers that doesn't cost multiple thousands of dollars...
Quite the opposite, actually, last time I read their site (a couple weeks ago).

They are developing a new version for the Navy that works for people with normal vision. It uses all kinds of exotic glass to accomplish that, however, so it will cost a small fortune once they release it.

I found out about these masks literally two days after I picked up my new mask with brand new prescription lenses. I was pretty steamed. I've since done more research, and now I'm less steamed.

First off, if you have astigmatism or need some other special lenses such that you can't buy the "off-the-shelf" prescription lens adapters for your mask, you are looking at approx $200 to do custom lenses for your regular mask (plus the minor cost of the mask itself, if you don't already have one). Turns out to be around the same price as the Hydrooptix masks... that's why I was annoyed when I discovered them.

As for the HO masks (easier to type!), they are wicked cool, according to everyone who uses them. BUT again, unless you hit the target nearsightedness level, you have to wear contacts while diving. I've worn contacts in the past, but I've never really liked them. If you already wear contacts, and don't plan on going the prescription route, this mask is an excellent (if spendy) option.

I don't like contacts (especially in salt water) and I don't quite hit the target prescription, so for me, the HO mask doesn't quite work out. Also, they have one size, and if it doesn't fit your face well, you're SOL. If didn't fit my face as well as my current mask, so again, I'm OK with passing on the mask.

One issue I've seen mentioned a number of times on this board: If you get any water in your mask, with a regular mask, you clear normally, and the few drops you can't get out just stay in the corners and don't really bother you. With the HO mask, because each lense is a bowl-shaped dome, anytime you look down, those few remaining drops will eagerly move up into the lowest part of the lense... meaning anytime you are looking directly down you will be staring at drops of water right in the middle of your field of vision. I've never worn the mask, so I can't say for sure, but it sounds pretty annoying to me.

All that said, if (a) I didn't have to wear contacts to use the mask, and (b) I hadn't JUST spent $200 getting a prescription mask, I probably would have tried going that route. The people I know who have contacts anyway and whose face fits the mask well LOVE it.

So bear all this in mind, and armed with the facts, make your decision. Only you can know what's the most important to YOU. For me, it was all about simplicity (and cost, since I had already spent the money), as much as the geek in me loves the very concept of the HO mask.

Tried one out and though it was awesome. Very comfortable and just right both for my face shape and for my poor eyesight.

BUT, this is one item that you absolutely, positively have to try out before you buy.... As you can see from the comments above there are definite considerations that can be deal-breakers for some people. You have to make sure the mask is right for you before plunking down your $$.

I used the new mask daily for two weeks in a local pool with no leak problems. The original version let water seep around my nose just enough to be a constant irritation. For my face -regular nose-smile crease-age wrinkles-no angular features- their new skirt was enough improvement to keep my eyes and nose water free. I haven't had it in the ocean yet, but will correct that just as soon as possible.
When trying out the mask, make sure you flood it while under water and learn to use their double purge valves. I would like a skirt design with only one purge - or none. I have to plug one valve or the other with one hand to completely empty the mask.

Back
Top Bottom