Hydro Optics Mask worth the $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmack

Reaction score
Hey all ... been checking out this Hydro optics mask... Claims huge improvement in visibility. Seems great for me as I am nearsighted, but anyone actually using this mask?? And is it worth the $$$?

I'm speaking about the HydroOptix brand mask that you need to be nearsighted to wear. since posting this I have found several other threads discussing them at length. Sounds Like it would work great for me. I haven't been to an eye doctor in 20 years, but am going to get evaluated before spending my loot on this mask.

... http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.htm

Lots of comments on this board about it , mostly favorable , with some comments on fogging and water pooling on the curved lens in front of eye

I would like to try it first but am in favor of it mostly because I'm nearsited and of my need for contacts and the hassles involved with them. I dream of seeing underwater without them

DB

Love it, love it, love it. I think if you search for posts by me you'll see I've replied to a few threads like this already. :) If you're already nearsighted, I think there's absolutely no reason not to go for it!

All your peripheral vision back, no distortion, super-crisp vision, no more salty contacts - these totally outweigh the minor nuisances of fogging (which has become less and less of a problem in the year I've had my mask) and leakage (ditto - or maybe I've just learned to use the leaks to help clear the fog). As for having blurry vision back on the boat or on shore, who cares?

My husband and I both have the -4.5 mask; I usually wear -3.5 contacts, he wears -2.5, and we both see great through the mask without our contacts.

Go for it. You won't be sorry. :)

gmack:
Hey all ... been checking out this Hydro optics mask... Claims huge improvement in visibility. Seems great for me as I am nearsighted, but anyone actually using this mask?? And is it worth the $$$?

While I am certainly not a dive expert, my experiences in the blue are enough to know that without a doubt, any new technology to have better vision down there will improve the comfort, safety, and enjoyment of diving.

gmack:

Im a little far sighted. My persciption is +1. To use the mask I need to put in #5 contacts. I tried it. I put in the contacts which made me nearly blind on land and very near sighted. Then I put on the mask and WOW I coul see underwater just like normal vision I had perfect perriferal (sp?) It worked very well.

But no way on Earth would I put up with needing to use contract lens to screw up my vision in order to use the mask.. But if my vision where already that bad I'd need a perscription mask anyways ad would get the thing in a minute.

Nearsighted and use the mask with great results. I tried on a normal, backup mask (Mares PureVision) on my last dive and there was a -tremendous- difference. The field of view was not nearly as great, and the distortion was evident.

Too bad you're not in the Dallas area... I'd say come check it out. We've got one for testing in our pool, or even out to the lake. Everyone who has the right prescription, snaps them up instantly as soon as they try them. They are that neat.

I got the mask from Larry here at Scubatoys in Dallas. It is a great mask, worth the dollars. I use Sea Gold on the mask and never had a problem w/ it fogging. Some water does pool at the bottom but it is insignificant and doesn't interfere w/ the dive.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom