Hydro-dipping gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackOfDiamonds

Jewish Space Laser Operator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey folks,

Been wondering recently about the option of Hydro Dipping the dive gear to make it looks nicer with some cool patterns / drawings.

Has any one attempted this before? im almost certain that the regulator housing isn't going to be a problem because its plastic , how ever, im unsure about my fins because its softer rubber.

Was even thinking of dipping the tank but im almost sure it wont last long...

Would appreciate any input on this matter, thanks !

That's a cool idea! I'm excited to hear if anyone has experience with this.

I have seen tanks with hydrographics, but nothing else. I would agree that plastics are not likely to be an issue, but be sure to plug/mask any regulator openings first.

If it holds up ok on fins, that would be so super cool. I wonder how the freedive fins are colored for the spear fishers?

That's a cool idea! I'm excited to hear if anyone has experience with this.

I have seen tanks with hydrographics, but nothing else. I would agree that plastics are not likely to be an issue, but be sure to plug/mask any regulator openings first.

If it holds up ok on fins, that would be so super cool. I wonder how the freedive fins are colored for the spear fishers?

Of course, my plan was to give my Reg to my dive shop so they can take it apart for me, take just the plastics and get them dipped then bring it back to store to re-assemble it.
I think the rubber is already pre-colored for the free-diving fins or painted fins in general , i dont believe they make them black then paint them. (But im just guessing)

Been wondering recently about the option of Hydro Dipping the dive gear to make it looks nicer with some cool patterns / drawings.
!

My gear looks nicer with NO cool patterns/drawings................but, to each his own. Have at it.

Good luck,
New Curmudgeon

Hey folks,

Has any one attempted this before? im almost certain that the regulator housing isn't going to be a problem because its plastic , how ever, im unsure about my fins because its softer rubber.

Was even thinking of dipping the tank but im almost sure it wont last long...

Would appreciate any input on this matter, thanks !

Jack...

Be careful with this one...some paint solvents may be very detrimental to some plastics/vinyls...
If your second stage parts pit or etch because of the solvent it could create problems with the parts sealing properly...

You may also encounter problems getting tanks filled/serviced that are covered with a coating that was not applied by the manufacturer...

Owner applied coatings have been used to ''hide'' a multitude of sins...

Cylinder service instructors will often us a ''demo tank''...that was ''re-finished'' by an end user that has a patch of ''bondo'' under the ''re-finish'' hiding a big dent in the tank...

I won't fill/service any ''owner refinished'' tanks in my shop...

Proceed cautiously...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Jack...

Be careful with this one...some paint solvents may be very detrimental to some plastics/vinyls...
If your second stage parts pit or etch because of the solvent it could create problems with the parts sealing properly...

You may also encounter problems getting tanks filled/serviced that are covered with a coating that was not applied by the manufacturer...

Cylinder service instructors will often us a ''demo tank''...that was ''re-finished'' by an end user that has a patch of ''bondo'' under the ''re-finish'' hiding a big dent in the tank...

Proceed cautiously...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Hey warren, i appreciate your input.

I was told something similar about the tanks so i figured it wouldn't be the best idea.

In terms of the paint used, its a thin film with no solvent's as far as im aware but that is definitely something i will be looking in to, i wouldn't want my 2nd stage to deteriorate.

Thank you!

Jack...

Proceed cautiously...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Warren has a good point regarding tanks, could be a major issue. While yes, solvents can be detrimental to some plastics, those solvents are not typically used in the hydrographics process.

I can see the value of hydrographics on some pieces of gear, especially fins for a DM. It would make the DM stand out against other divers at crowded spots.

Regarding fins, beyond whether or not the graphics stick long term, the condition of the fins would play a big roll in how the graphics would turn out. If they're sort of beat up with nicks and scratches the graphics would likely look shoddy.

I think that you are right. I think that the flexibility of the fins would mean that they would not really be suitable for hydro dipping. Your tank should work as long as they stay away from the valve but I don't know if it would be worth the risk of getting it into the valve or potentially contaminating the inside of the tank if the valve is removed. Maybe if you only dipped it up to where the curve on the bell starts, but only you will be able to do the risk assessment on whether you feel it is worth it. Personally, I wouldn't do it on the tanks at all. It would, however, be interesting to see the looks you would get showing up on a dive boat with what appears to be a 2nd stage made out of wood.

For those unfamiliar with hydro dipping, here is a quick video (yes, he is dipping a toilet seat) but the process is that same for whatever you dip. From what I understand, the spray that is seen at the beginning of the video is simply to reduce the surface tension of the water and to activate the patten sheet. I do not believe it is a solvent.

Contact Larry at Cozumel scuba repair.
He has done this with regs, fins masks etc. He has some first stages in his display case. He used a camo pattern for speros.

Hey warren, i appreciate your input.

I was told something similar about the tanks so i figured it wouldn't be the best idea.

In terms of the paint used, its a thin film with no solvent's as far as im aware but that is definitely something i will be looking in to, i wouldn't want my 2nd stage to deteriorate.

Thank you!

Hey Jack...

The common practice of hydro dipping I've seen is to fill a container/drum with water and use ''rattle cans'' to spray multi colors on top of the water and then dip the object being ''painted'' through the paint scum until the object is covered and then remove...

Common use ''spray bombs'' use highly volatile hydro-carbon solvents such as toluene...butane...heptane...and others...all highly detrimental to plastics...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom