Hydrating in advance - How far??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
lol - didn't mean to imply the past would affect it, just noted how it was true in the past and present... sry - clarity needed I guess... Just curious if the body adapts to excess as well as limited water availability -

yeah - Diabetes runs in the family so I get checked for it about every 2 or 3 years - so far so good :)

Aloha, Tim

Wildcard's explanation explains the basics pretty well. To put it even simpler - your body does adapt but only for a limited amount of time. Overhydration and dehydration for extended periods of time will through your metabolites off. There are normal levels of sodium, potassium, chloride, etc. that the body uses measured as ratios - mEq/L. That's not all the body has; some is stored. As Wildcard said, the kidneys regulate these things. You take away water and your kidneys have to work to get that ratio back to normal. Same thing happens when you add too much water. Since there's only a limited amount of the metabolites, both being used and stored, when they are all used or the "storage rooms" filled up, your limited amount of time comes to an end and you end up needed more than just a couple of bottles of water. Hope this helps.

BTW, glad to hear you're aware and get checked. :wink:

Dear Readers:

Thirst

There are some good questions here. In speaking about hydration, lone should bear in mind that there is plasma water (in blood), extra cellular water (lymph, e.g.), and intracellular water.

At least 60 years ago, it was found that the regulator for thirst was certain cells located in a portion of your brain [usually stated as the hypothalamus]. Dehydration of these cells will signal a thirst. Thus water is being lost throughout the body and, only after a certain degree of cellular dehydration occurs, is the thirst mechanism initiated.

Throughout the Day

It is best if one keeps constantly hydrated by drink water throughout the day – everyday. We have all heard the old admonition of eight glasses of water a day, every day. This is good for all – divers or not. :book3:

Dr Deco :doctor:

kidspot:
So how accurate an indicator of hydration is thirst? I usually drink 2-4qts of water each day (usually 1qt at a time), yet I still find I feel thirsty quite frequently during the day, even with no exertion. I think I'm drinking enough, so what role does thirst actually play in the scheme of things?

IANAD, but I believe constant thirst can be a symptom of diabetes.

Not just thirst but excessive thirst as the body tries to rid itself of ketones that are building up.

The old adage as explained by the Doc, "If you wait untill your thirsty, it's to late".

Back
Top Bottom