Hydrating effects of different types of drinking water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truely tasteless indeed.. But not so much the content as the label :p

There are many standards/definitions for water of different purities, depending on the end-user (medical, pharmaceutical, semi-conductor, lab, drinking, etc). These take into account bacteria, endotoxin/pyrogens, organic impurities, ions, particulates.

There are no standards for how you set up and maintain any particular water purification system, which affects the purity of the water output.
eg the RO setup may be single-pass, double-pass, and the membrane used may be of different pore sizes.

Generally, RO produces water that is less pure than distillation. RO is often used as pretreatment to produce feedwater for distillation.

Most countries have tapwater that exceeds W.H.O. standards for drinking water. There is no need to further RO or distill tapwater. In fact, if you dont maintain the RO system, it can collect bacteria and dirt.
Unless your water tastes so bad that you end up not drinking enough. I've lived several places, including my current home in Mesa,AZ, where I find the tap water undrinkable. It's fine from a health stand point but even the dogs and cats prefer the taste of the RO filtered water, which tells me something.
When I lived in OK, the reservoirs would "flip" twice a year and the tap water smelled like dead fish. I was lucky enough in a couple of places that I've lived to have very good well water but the city water has often been less than potable in many areas I've lived.

Y'all are gonna die.

(Somebody had to say it! :wink: )

Due to the limestone dissolution in our water, it is very hard and I find makes coffee and some other things "taste funny". However, it is perfectly acceptable drinking water.

I order distilled water in the 5-gal jugs (Oasis, or Sparkletts). I use it for cooking, the critters, etc. I use it for spot- and deposit-free rinses in some of my hobbies, and in my small fountains. I keep a large jug in the fridge for drinking even though I have a filter on the fridge water dispenser. I find that if I use the water in the dispenser, it will leave a white deposit.

All that white stuff doesn't form from "natural" (rain, surface water) water on surfaces. Seems like drinking water pumped out of the ground, with dissolved rock, is not exactly natural. I don't use individually bottled water as the pressure those put on the landfills is huge. I fill up reusable bottles.

To steal another's phrase: "If you bitch about gasoline yet buy a bottle of water for $2, you are officially too stupid to drive."

So drink water. If you are exercising heavily, drink something extra to give energy and replace electrolytes. Diluted fruit juice with a little salt is the best I've heard yet! Thanks for that. :thumb:

Does that sum it up?

There are many standards/definitions for water of different purities, depending on the end-user (medical, pharmaceutical, semi-conductor, lab, drinking, etc). These take into account bacteria, endotoxin/pyrogens, organic impurities, ions, particulates.

There are no standards for how you set up and maintain any particular water purification system, which affects the purity of the water output.
eg the RO setup may be single-pass, double-pass, and the membrane used may be of different pore sizes.

Generally, RO produces water that is less pure than distillation. RO is often used as pretreatment to produce feedwater for distillation.

Most countries have tapwater that exceeds W.H.O. standards for drinking water. There is no need to further RO or distill tapwater. In fact, if you dont maintain the RO system, it can collect bacteria and dirt.
Do you drink the tap water in Singapore? Just curious. I don't. I think I might have been spoiled by NYC tap, which is delicious, and conditioned by HK tap, which everybody boils, to use bottled water.

The label says 'ionized'. In English. I don't know the actual process they use. The water brand is Singha, if you want to dig around and find out what it is they do. It's not worth my time, since for me it's really more a question of "does it have to be mineral water?"
A mistranslation, I suspect - probably Deionized, but that doesn't actually say how it was made and what's in it. Singha seems to be 5% ethanol? Singha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We did our weekend of camping, and the little bottles of water were there. I took all gallon jugs. It amazes me how many will use those packaged servings, including my family. I kept refilling my pint bottle. At least I got them to recycle the bottles and cans.

I'm still chuckling over the Smart water and canned Coconut water.

A mistranslation, I suspect - probably Deionized ...
Not necessarily. Like I said before, there's no such thing as ionized water (as we all know), but that doesn't keep some people from selling it anyway...

I very much doubt it's a mistranslation, Don. Rather, I think it's a mis-google on your part. The link you provided was to Singha beer, not Singha drinking water.
Well, yes - I just googled Singha which took me to links about the beer, so I didn't go far. A little deeper searching shows that either "Singha Corporation Co., Ltd. is a subsidiary of Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd., the first and largest Brewery of Thailand," or "Singha Corporation Co., Ltd. was formerly known as Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd. and changed its name to Singha Corporation Co., Ltd. in February 2006," depending on the source. Like many beverage companies, it seems they have diversified their product line.

What I meant by mistranslation was Ionized water, since there is no such thing...
Not necessarily. Like I said before, there's no such thing as ionized water (as we all know), but that doesn't keep some people from selling it anyway...
How they actually make their water and what it specifically is doesn't seem available, at least not to my googling. It seems to be a reliable source of safe drinking water in a country where such is uncommon. I remember on Ambergris Cay, Belize, the local beer and bottle water were delivered on the same trailer pulled by a John Deere tractor when I was there - I suppose coming from the same plant. First make safe water, then bottle some, brew some. :wink:

Whether on would need to add any NaCl salt to one's intake would surely depend on the individual, activities, and environment.

Do you drink the tap water in Singapore? Just curious. I don't. I think I might have been spoiled by NYC tap, which is delicious, and conditioned by HK tap, which everybody boils, to use bottled water.

Yes i do, and i drink the tap water if it is deemed acceptable in the places in the world i visit. I like to go local.
I've never had a problem tho i agree in some places it does taste [-]funny[/-] different.

FYI Singapore water is partly recycled from sewerage water :D

NEWater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom