Hydrating effects of different types of drinking water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think, i Gatorade is really too concentrated, and water with a bit of fruit juice and a touch of electrolytes is probably MUCH better. .

As far as I understand it, the modern Gatorade has a rather low Na concentration (10 mM) and if taken in very high doses during long exercise can lead to hyponatremia. It is indeed hyperosmolar but that is mostly from sugar and once that it is metabolized the resuit is pretty low in Na.

Bill

As far as I understand it, the modern Gatorade has a rather low Na concentration (10 mM) and if taken in very high doses during long exercise can lead to hyponatremia. It is indeed hyperosmolar but that is mostly from sugar and once that it is metabolized the resuit is pretty low in Na.
mM...??

The composition of individual Gatorade products varies depending upon the product in question, as well as the country in which it is sold. Original Gatorade Thirst Quencher has 5 mg of Sodium in 20 fluid ounces.

Gatorade Perform 02 has 150 mg of Sodium in 12 fluid ounces, and there are others. Lots of myth and marketing. Who knows what the University of Florida originally invented? The current company has a Gatorade Sports Science Institute research facility, but since it's funded by the company - perhaps biased.

There was a dispute about it being provided for the 1994 Rwandan genocide, with aid agencies struggling to save the lives of thousands of Rwandan refugees dying of dehydration due to cholera in camps in eastern Zaire.

Back
Top Bottom