Hydrating At Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As your basic recreational hour long diver, I just make sure to thoroughly hydrate before the dive, to protect against cramps. The drawback is that I generally have a serious pee towards the end of the dive. I've just come to accept that I must pee in the wetsuit -- I actually make sure I do it in the water, as its easier than stripping off the suit on the SI.

If I knew I had a hydration source during the dive, maybe I wouldnt chug water before the dive. But Im used to my chug pre-dive, pee during dive routine, so I'll keep it up. And Ive never really felt drymouth.

Capri Sonne juice sachets work very well also.

Just want to point out that this is the most elegant description of these I have seen -- you should be a copywriter!

Just want to point out that this is the most elegant description of these I have seen -- you should be a copywriter!
Well, thanks, I guess. We just always called them that when I was a kid. I did once write a daily newspaper column for a couple of months so maybe there's something to your idea :cheers::wink:

You need a job or a life or both to stop posting idiotic stuff like this. Carry on doing what you are supposedly doing (although I sometimes question whether you dive at all) you're going to give yourself Giardia or cryptosporidium or hepatitis A. Seriously this is just unnecessary and dumb, don't listen to tbone here people. Use a camelback or a foil juice pack with a straw if you need to drink.

have both, do dive regularly. This is a fairly common practice especially in the higher flow caves like little river, ginnie, or JB. Don't know of anyone who has gotten sick from doing it. You won't see people doing it in ponds or lakes for obvious reasons, but high flowing caves? that's a completely different discussion. In that case, if I'm diving doubles, I use the DSS hydration bladder. I don't usually dive sidemount in open water, but if I were, I would put something like a capri sun type pouch in my pocket.

if what you say is true, there would be a LOT of really sick cave divers.... almost all of them.... and the instructors would probably be dead

Last edited:
You need a job or a life or both to stop posting idiotic stuff like this. Carry on doing what you are supposedly doing (although I sometimes question whether you dive at all) you're going to give yourself Giardia or cryptosporidium or hepatitis A. Seriously this is just unnecessary and dumb, don't listen to tbone here people. Use a camelback or a foil juice pack with a straw if you need to drink.

Have since this done and/or mentioned a few times in Florida. There's nothing wrong with doing it in the high flow caves, it's probably safer than the water from your tap.

When cave diving, I just take the second stage from my mouth and gulp away. Since my well at 85 feet gets the same water I dive in, in the aquifer all the same.

A buddy convinced me once to bring a pouch of fruit punch flavored capri sun underwater. I learned that it tastes just as bad 100' below the ocean as it does on the surface. :D

I drink water before, between and after dives, have a pee method devised to accommodate my bladder condition, and never get dry mouth. Never thought of drinking anything underwater. As well, daily potassium pill cleared up 95% or more of my cramping problem years ago.

I've thought about it. I'm probably going to put a waterbottle on a boltsnap for my next scuba vacation.

Never been that thirsty underwater. Diving wrecks I get about 25 minutes dive time before a surface interval where there;s water on the boat. Diving the rock jetty I run out of air before I run out of time, about 60 minutes, and there's water in my bag on the beach. I don't find it a crisis to go without drinking for an hour max until I get back on the boat/shore.

I try to find ways I can cut down on the amount of crap I have to carry underwater vs finding ways to carry more stuff.

No I don't carry a "spare computer". Well actually I do. It's called "dive tables". If you've (properly) planned a dive, you don't need a second computer. If my computer fails, and I know I can spent 30 minutes at depth, and I know I entered the water 10 minutes ago, traditional math tells me I got 20 more minutes (conservative) before I have to surface. That's one of the drawbacks I see with the "everybody must have a computer" fad nowadays. Nobody knows how to plan multiple dives anymore. All they know how to do is look at a computer and do what it says. Dive planning happens BEFORE you get wet, not on your way down to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom