Hydra sting!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was in Cozumel last week on a dive trip and I now have this lumpy red rash on my calf. I did not feel it happen but now a week later it itches like crazy! What can I do??:confused:

-Madi

Contact Dermatitis (like with poison oak). Hydrocortisone cream and antihistamine. PCP for something stronger if over the counter not helping.

yeppers it is a mean one. Always wear at least a skin in Coz
the only way to beat it

From the DAN website...

DAN Medical Frequently Asked

We frequently receive calls from individuals who experienced itching, burning and redness of the skin after a marine encounter of unknown origin. Usually the symptoms disappear after one to two days, but sometimes they abruptly return. This can occur anytime from two to five days after the initial encounter, and the recurring symptoms may be worse than they were initially.According to DAN consultant Dr. Bruce Miller, a board-certified dermatologist, dive medicine physician and diver, this is a “delayed hypersensitivity reaction,” or reaction to a toxin. Unlike a systemic (whole body) allergic reaction, which may affect larger skin areas or other organs, the delayed reaction tends to remain confined to the injury site.
“Once this delayed reaction occurs,” Miller said, “topical hydrocortisone cream (which is often part of the usual initial treatment) may have little or no benefit. The recommendation is to be evaluated by a physician, because oral steroids may be required to treat the reaction.”
Think of this delayed reaction as being similar to a very bad case of poison oak, Miller said:“Without proper treatment, the symptoms can persist for weeks or longer. It’s important to seek evaluation by a physician to ensure no secondary infection exists from the skin breaks that can occur when the skin is scratched too vigorously.”

I was in Cozumel last week on a dive trip and I now have this lumpy red rash on my calf. I did not feel it happen but now a week later it itches like crazy! What can I do??:confused:

-Madi

It might not even be something you encountered in the water.

It might not even be something you encountered in the water.

I came back from the Bahamas with a rash that I got from poisonwood. It was nasty, and it took a long time to go away.

I came back from the Bahamas with a rash that I got from poisonwood. It was nasty, and it took a long time to go away.

That's interesting. I had not heard of poisonwood so did a search. It's in the sumac family and as such produces the same oil (urushiol) as poison sumac, poison oak and poison ivy. Untreated the rash typically lasts about 3 weeks but symptoms are the most intense the first week. That's why prescription treatment is often for 2 to 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom