Hyde's Quarry dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rocdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Observation no. 1: 47 degrees water is cold
Observation no. 2: in observation no.1 above, "cold" means "your brain freezes, and your masculine self esteem suffers unspeakably."
Observation no. 3: 7mm wetsuits and hoodies, while insufficient at times, are one of humanity's great inventions.
Observation no. 4: when done with a good shop and a great group of people, diving in frigid Hyde's Quarry in May is still a lot of fun. Nice to meet you, scuba addiction.

Not sure if it's true or not... but I heard a rumor that Hyde's Quarry closes in June - never to reopen again for diving. Does anyone know if that is true?

Nobody said anything while we were there, and there was a lot of discussion about returning throughout the summer! I hope it's not true.

Ken, what I've heard is that the County wants to do a draw-down test. No clue what what would mean long-term. From what I've heard, they (County) do not yet have the necessary permits for such a test (they have to get a discharge permit for the water being pumped out).

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a buddy to dive Hyde's this weekend, I'm up for it.

Hey Rocdoc, How was the visibility? I was there last August and was somewhat disappointed with the 3-5 ft. Will definitely give it another try, but probably wait until it gets above 50. Hopefully it will be open as it's the closest spot for me from Pasadena.

The visibility is pretty poor, but I don't think you can expect much else from a narrow and deep quarry, with mud bottom... If you are not with a large group and are careful to stay above the bottom, you can probably get enough to watch and photograph the fish and the nests in the grass. I would guess 10-15 ft. Deeper you are looking at 5, maybe 10 if you are in the light path. I found the submerged airplane when my knee hit one of the wings :) It was more visible than that, I'm just a clueless noob, but it's still pretty bad.
I would love to dive again there, but I am waiting until it warms up a bit. Too traumatized from the freezing temps over this weekend...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom