Hyde/Markham 28 June trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradfordNC

Contributor
Reaction score
excellent day to dive.

went out with Aquatic Safaris (no, the new boats not in yet)
seas were an easy 2-3 ft with the occasional rolling 4

air temps in the upper 80s, water temp 79, unless you went to the bottom, then a slight chill.

light current on the Hyde, several large schools of baitfish. lots of amberjack, and about 4 to 6 Sand Tigers. saw a Bull Shark off the side, but it wouldn't come in close while the divers were on the wreck. vis was around 50 to 60 feet. slight haze inside the wreck due to the current.

stronger current on the Markham, we were anchored near the stern, so swimming to the bow, was able to drift dive back to the anchorline. 2 good sized Sand Tigers by the hull, looked to be about 6 to 8 footers. a good sized octopuss has taken up residence in a hole along the top side of the wreck.

another great day of carolina diving

Hey BradfordNC,
Great report on the Hyde/Markum. I was also on that boat. I was the older guy with his son. That was our first wreck dive in NC and we had a great time. I really appreciated your tips along with the DM since this was my first wreck dive in NC. I did a wreck dive in Aruba but it was very different. I live in Charleston WV and plan on making some weekend trips back to the coast. If you are ever in need of a dive buddy let me know.
Do you have any more pics of that trip you could post. I took some pics but they did not turn out as well as yours.

Thanks,

Glenn Self

Hey Glenn,

i try to dive every weekend. anytime your back in the area, just let me know, i'm always trying to find people to dive with.

Brad

here is another shark pic from that dive, and a shot of your son when we were checking out the octopus on the Markham.

Brad,
Thanks alot for the pics. That was great. I can't believe you got a pic of my son. He was thrilled when I showed it to him. I hope to get back there maybe twice before the end of summer. I think I mentioned before my scuba instructor is trying to get a boat together and do a two tank dive on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I know one of those dives will be the U-352. I think we will be in Morehead. If there is room on the boat would you be interested in going? Let me know. Right now he is looking at the last weekend in July but has not comfirmed as of today.

Thanks again for the great pics,

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom