Hybrid vs. BP/W vs. Jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, there is a reason why there are several different types of BCDs. That would be because different types appeal to different people. This can definitely be influenced by the type of diving the person does. After I got certified, I wanted to buy all of my own gear, and to be honest, low cost was one of my highest priorities. I bought a Sherwood Caymen jacket style BCD. It was low cost, and totally functional, but after one trip, I realized that although it was functional, it was not the right choice for me. After I did more research and a few pool sessions, I replaced it with a back inflate BCD. I went through several of those as my needs changed and eventually ended up with a light weight travel back inflate BCD called a Cressi Air Travel. While it was great to travel with, it was also about 4-5 pounds positively buoyant. The first 4 pounds of lead I added was simply to get the BCD neutral. After that, I moved on to an aluminum BP/W set up. For now, it meets my needs, but if my personal history has shown, there is a high probability that my needs might change and someday, something else may be more appropriate.

My point is, look around and get what works for you, not necessarily what works ideally for somebody else and expect that over the years, your needs and your BCD will probably change. Having said that, my recommendation would be to start with a good quality back inflate BCD.

Are you, like, the Mayor of Ontario Scuba Diving? Or just gassy........(scuba pun intended)

Anything I say in this forum is purely my opinion.

Anything I say in this forum is purely my opinion.
Too many people spout opinion as if it is fact. I just want to make it clear that my opinion is just that and nothing more.

Too many people spout opinion as if it is fact. I just want to make it clear that my opinion is just that and nothing more.
OKAY, I agree with your opinion, re, your opinion.

My wife suggested she try split fins the other day.

I think it’s going to take some marriage counseling to navigate this one.

AE5DE87B-A8A9-44EB-93AA-4752E7C7C83D.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom