Hybrid vs. BP/W vs. Jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The day I tried my BP/W for the first time it changed my life.

while it’s seems like there are a lot choices, it’s pretty strait forward. Pick a plate material, go with a one life harness, and done.

I have a SS OMS plate with a weighted Halcyon STA, SS buckle cam straps, one piece harness.

I really like the set up because I can add a keel weigh and I have 4 trim pockets on the STA so with that weighted STA I can add weight when I dive with a dry suit but in warm water I can dive just the plate and STA.

If you are smaller or less floaty you can get an aluminum or carbon plate.

There is NO simple answer for the OP's question.
We are all individual and have different requirement even for a simple BC.
Integrated weight, attached pocket, quick release, light weight, tough and sturdy, module etc etc.

For recreational diving it is all about what YOU are most comfortable IN THE WATER WITH.

My advice try each one a few times and see what you like best.

For me a backplate wing is the way to go. Part of that is I dive cold water and cold surface temps which means dry suit. Having that 6 pounds of weight off my "belt" and over my lungs is a good thing. Also better back support.

One thing to think about and realize is that divers change over time from when they start to when they get experience.
Gear choices may also change over time as the diver gains experience.
There is no “best” when it comes to BCD choices. This board is very BP/W centric but that doesn’t mean the rest of the world is. There are people who have gone from a jacket to a BP/W, then decided they didn’t like the BP/W for whatever reason and went back to a jacket. It doesn’t happen too often but it does happen occasionally.
It all depends on what you feel most comfortable using and at what stage in your diving career that happens to be. I’m not all for slamming someone into a stripped down BP/W unit right from the start if they are not ready. Some instructors start students from day one in BP/W and the student gets instant mentorship in the class with a full education on it.
I’ve heard about such classes here on scubaboard but have never seen one in person. Most mainstream dive classes are not like this and the diver is on their own to figure out anything beyond a jacket used in OW. Most dive shops don’t and won’t carry BP/W’s.

If I were you I’d take as many months or even years as needed to try as much different stuff/brands,styles, etc. and see how all of it works. As you get better at diving and your comfort level increases your trim will get better, your breathing gets better, everything gets better, and so do your gear choices based on the acquiring of skills and knowledge.
The worst thing is when a diver tries to get a new piece of gear to fix a skills problem. A BP/W can be exactly this in regards to a trim issue. So many people recommend them to cure bad trim when instead the core skills problem needs to be dealt with first. A great diver can make anything work including any jacket or back inflate.

A BP/W is a great simplistic basic rugged piece of gear and they are becoming more popular indeed, but don’t jump into one just based on hype. Make sure it’s right for you first.

BTW, all this is coming from a guy who manufactures custom backplates.

Westcoastsaucey,

I’ll echo the recommendation that you first determine what type of diving interests you most.

Perhaps a better way to provide you an answer is by asking you a question first. What are your current outdoor hobbies and how do you approach them? That may help reveal some aspects of your “personality” and help us to guide you.

If you envision yourself mainly hitting the dive resorts and following along, then perhaps a jacket style BCD is just fine.

If you’re already a bit of an outdoor explorer and your aspirations are varied, then I’d recommend pursuing a backplate and wing because of its modularity.

I started out with a back inflated horseshoe wing on a soft plate. While I liked it, I often had to change pitch to move the air around in my bladder to achieve the trim I wanted. When I switched to a SS backplate and a donut wing, I got rid of my weights, my trim settled and I flattened out immediately. Your air balances out much better in a donut wing. Because I no longer had to squirm around trying to adjust the air in my wing, my consumption also improved significantly and I started extending my dive time to 90 minutes or longer.

An Australian dive buddy in the air transportation business has been diving around the world since 1986 (so 33 years). He recently purchased a BP/W and was positively surprised in the instant change in his diving experience. He felt a bit sheepish he had dived for so long with a jacket style BCD.

With a backplate and wing configuration, I like that I can switch from a single tank wing to a double tank wing in matter of minutes. I also like that I can travel with both wings giving me the flexibility to dive the way I want. 12m single tank dive with my wife and daughter? Cool. 50m twinset dive with buddies on a wall looking for some big boys down deep? Also cool.

The “excessive weight for travel” claims about SS backplates are exaggerated, IMO. I’ve travelled with mine between Florida, Europe and the Middle East and I have yet to suffer under the long arm of oppression by an airline or induce a back injury.

Consistent with what Eric shared above, know that many of us have purchased some kit with the best of intentions only to find out later that we need or simply would like something else. SCUBA diving is not a cheap sport so probably best to accept that you will have to undergo some trial and error.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

What brand?!?!?[/QUOTE]

No name......a couple of scratches.....

Odd how it kept multiplying......Its like the Magical Bean of scuba diving...

Back
Top Bottom