Hybrid jacket pulls me 90° around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pandoro

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear(s),

I have a Mares hybrid jacket for a couple of years now but the following always happens:

when I lay flat in the water, the jacket always pulls to one side making me hang with 1 shoulder up nd one shoulder down, basically sideways.

Imagine laying flat on the floor on your belly and you rotate 90° so that one shoulder is underneath you and one shoulder is upwards 90° towards the ceiling. This is what happens.
I always try to rotate and spin so that the air gets around but it doesn't help. Is there any known reason why this is happening?

If I understand correctly, this BC is "jacket style." The issue with these is that the air cell wraps around towards the front somewhat. This can give the air bubble more room to shift, throwing off your trim. It sounds like this may be what's happening to you. The backplate/wing system, that is well-liked here on SB, puts the air cell completely behind you without wrapping towards the front. This makes it easier to remain in horizontal trim.

Dear(s),

I have a Mares hybrid jacket for a couple of years now but the following always happens:

when I lay flat in the water, the jacket always pulls to one side making me hang with 1 shoulder up nd one shoulder down, basically sideways.

Imagine laying flat on the floor on your belly and you rotate 90° so that one shoulder is underneath you and one shoulder is upwards 90° towards the ceiling. This is what happens.
I always try to rotate and spin so that the air gets around but it doesn't help. Is there any known reason why this is happening?
For @RyanT - a hybrid is a cross between a back inflation and a jacket style BCD, trying to incorporate the best of both. It is not a pure jacket.
for @Pandoro - I have no direct experience with the Mares hybrid, but I regularly use an old Aeris hybrid and do not experience anything like that.
Here are a couple of general notes, that can possibly apply to any jacket, back inflate, or hybrid. You can decide if they may be useful to you.
  • Diver is over weighted. If so, then there is a lot more air in the bladder to deal with and to roll around. Be sure you don't have too much lead loaded in.
  • BCD is not fit correctly. If BCD is not hugging closely to the body, either due to sizing or to adjustment issues, then the bladder will tend to go where the air goes as you bounce/float around inside the shoulder straps. This will be even worse if you also have excessive air in the BCD. If it is snugged to your body, then the bladder is conformed to your position in the water and twists and turns with you; it is much easier to remain trim. Be sure you do not have space between you and your BCD.

@JackD342, I looked up this particular BC and it looks very much like a jacket style. @Pandoro, JackD342's advice is good and is likely to help solve some of your problems.

@JackD342, I looked up this particular BC and it looks very much like a jacket style. @Pandoro, JackD342's advice is good and is likely to help solve some of your problems.
@RyanT
I'm not sure yet if you know what a hybrid style BCD is or not. You do have to look close to notice, as I would describe it a modification of a jacket.
I couldn't find an image of a Mares version that shows the necessary detail, so here is an image of the one I dive. I have circled the area that is different. When you are flat and trim on your dive and need to inflate significantly, any air at the bottom will flow out to the side and expand that bellows, rather than fill in down by your waist and hug your hips. If you continue to inflate fully then yes, that "jacket" portion will eventually fill also. So assuming you don't fully inflate your BCD, it will behave more like a back inflate on your dive. But then when you are vertical at the surface, it will float you more like a jacket style.

I should also add that the bladder is shaped a bit different on the top edge too, allowing air to flow out to the side rather than hug the shoulders. Again, like a back inflate.
upload_2019-2-27_16-9-41.png

If the problem is consistent and persistent, why not just correct your weight to compensate?
It may only take a pound or two of adjustment. Don't add any, just relocate it.

Yeah the hybrid is indeed not the classical jacket style. I bought it because it has a specific system for the tank to rest on that keeps your back straight while walking.

In this picture you see the 'suspension system'. Basically when the tank presses down on it, it will push your lower back forward to keep a straight body. As for comfort in wearing, this jacket is very good.
upload_2019-2-28_12-43-54.png

Here you can see the back - part of the air will create a bubble around the tank:
upload_2019-2-28_12-47-9.png

Also, the sides (where the red handles are on pic 1) inflate so basically inflates the entire BCD but also partially around the tank.

I tend to put 1kg of weight in the jack pocjets (red handle thingies) and a harness with the rest. Honestly the harness is slightly to big but I never had the rotating issue with other jackets. So I should probably start eliminating factor per factor. I'll start by shifting weights around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom