Hurricane weather... conditions @ LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol... we saw Marvel last night but won't spoil the "war story" she has to tell.

We're weathering the aftermath fine here... our building has a generator and we actually have warm showers (except you can't let the water get in your mouth).

Tonight we grill all that meat that accumulates in freezers over time... it's thawed so it's time!

On our outing today in search of ice (and to gawk at the damage) we found COLD beer and hot fried-oyster sandwiches at Durty Nelly's, if anybody knows where that little landmark is (or cares).

And, most important, the water is still very silty but calm as can be and BEAUTIFUL from the surface. Let it settle and if the roadblocks are lifted by all means come shore dive this weekend! There's no telling WHAT we'll find underwater. Right now you can't see your hand at the end of your arm, but it's perfect otherwise... cool as well.

Mike - glad to hear you and Lori are safe. We've spent the last two days trying to find out if all our old friends and buddies made it through OK. It's been tough with the phones and cell sites out in lots of areas. And no power isn't making life pleasant for many - amazing your place has a generator.

Have you heard from Jenny, Scott and Marvel?

Looks like I picked the right time to move.

On the other hand, I did just pick up my new snowblower this weekend.

Marc

Checking in. We are OK. Chuck (SmokeAire) had his work cut out for him! LOL!. NO power, no phones, but we have gas, so coffee and a hot shower are the norm... and we are grateful we have that, as so many more only wish they did.

I'm going out tonight, and although I can't find the diveyak I'll be fine clipping the snare, sling and game bag to the bottom of my float. It's looks GREAT and somebody told me that you can actually SEE already.

I have NOT heard from Scott, but you know him, Marc, he's bulletproof. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he was actually diving *during* the hurricane.

Everybody else seems to be doing OK... no gas, boiling our drinking water, but at least we have water, power and 80 degree days with lots of sunshine and NO way to get to work... Monday will come soon enough and until then I'll be happy to enjoy what we have.

Oh, there's no checkpoint to get to LBTS anymore, so if you have the gas come on down! You might as well be diving or even snorkeling.

Scuba_Jenny:
Checking in. We are OK. Chuck (SmokeAire) had his work cut out for him! LOL!. NO power, no phones, but we have gas, so coffee and a hot shower are the norm... and we are grateful we have that, as so many more only wish they did.

Glad to hear you and Chuck are OK. With coffee and hot water... you're almost in heaven. The only thing that would be better is having Mike and Marvel's back yard.

A gas stove/oven is in our new kitchen plans...

Al

Ach... I never made it out Friday night and only snorkeled today... good thing I didn't waste the air. I could almost see 15 feet.

It's still pretty silted up AND we now have an east-wind (or will have by Saturday) so conditions probably won't be all that great until next week sometime.

The water is still warm and there aren't any checkpoints to get on the barrier island, so if you MUST get wet it's possible!

Glad to hear everybody check in! Looks like we all made it.

The checkpoints are down but there's very little to do here yet... Mulligan's is open but Aruba's and The Village Grille/Village Pump are not yet open. Shore diving is waaay off due to the brisk north winds. Lots of weeds on the shore, and we still have to go through the east-wind cycle before things get better. Maybe next week?

Debris is cleaned up, and half of the businesses are open... more expected tomorrow (Monday) and we should be completely open for biz next weekend. Conditions should be diveable!

Howdy all, we finally got power back late sunday. No real damage other than lots of trees down.

Hoping to get out and do some freediving (have buddy coming from Canada who doesn't scuba) this coming weekend, hopefully conditions will have improved by then.

Thanks for the updates Mike, keep posting the updates, hopefully it'll all be good news!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom