Hurricane warning for tomorrow night!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The narrow eye is gonna help, time will tell. As of 9:30 here, we just had a little wind burst, very little and a burst of rain - lasted a few minutes is all. Otherwise all quite, so quite, you can still hear people hammering and cutting away at things.
Hey Chuck, good luck later tonight. Satellite picts show its coming your way. Stay dry and wear your Bose noise canceling headphones. Some clean-up and then back on track. Christy is ready too.

145 MPH winds are serious but everyone must remember those winds are measured in the eye wall at altitude and the actual ground speed of those winds can be considerably lower due to ground friction. Furthermore, the eye of this hurricane is only about 6 miles wide and wind speed decreases rapidly away from the eye wall. Hurricane force winds are winds of 74+ MPH and they extend a way from the eye wall followed by tropical storm force winds that are 39-73 MPH that can cover a very wide area. The key is you don't want to be the person who can walk outside and look around as the eye passes over you (which Coz experienced during Wilma). The media is pounding the table that this is the "Worst since Wilma" but Wilma was a very different and slow moving storm with its eye passing directly over Coz. I predict this storm will have a minimal impact on Coz compared to Wilma even if Coz is directly hit by the eye. We are still several hours out and with an eye that is 6 miles wide there is still a great deal of space on the projected path that says Coz won't take a direct hit from that eye wall.

I'll post my prediction now and if I'm wrong everyone can flame me. I predict Coz does not experience a direct eye wall hit and the damage that Delta may inflict on Coz will be minimal... No reason whatsoever to cancel vacation plans that are out 2 weeks from now.
Thank you for posting this explanation for
People who don’t understand these storms and how they hit. I didn’t Have the energy to do it.

I agree with you and am so glad the eye is tiny relatively speaking. The satellite image makes the storm look much bigger than the area actually in the full force winds - the further away from the eye, the less impact and wind - Cozumel Is also on the “clean” side of the storm which gives me hope that we will fare ok. There will be flooding, electricity may be lost, there will some debris - but this won’t be another Wilma by any means. Remember we had Cat 4 Emily in July of 2005 (same year as Wilma) it moved through very quickly. The eye was small
Like Delta and passed over the south end of the island. The southern hotel zone was severely damaged, but in town all we had were some downed trees and debris and power was out for less than 24 hours. We were diving again within the week.

I am hopeful but suspect diving will resume by The weekend. Once it passes, everyone will
Start putting boats back in the water and join together to clean up and get back to business. Anyone cancelling before its come and gone would be doing so very prematurely. I would at least wait until the storm passes to see how the island fares.

Sending good thoughts to all on the island and hope the storm passes quickly without too much damage. Tough year on the island and hopefully this doesn't add to it. Stay safe tonight!

The narrow eye is gonna help, time will tell. As of 9:30 here, we just had a little wind burst, very little and a burst of rain - lasted a few minutes is all. Otherwise all quite, so quite, you can still hear people hammering and cutting away at things.

Stay safe @ChuckP - keeping all of our Cozumel dive buddies in our prayers. Please let us know you are OK as you are able! Looks like we will be entertaining DELTA after he/she gets done with Coz...

Thank you for posting this explanation for
People who don’t understand these storms and how they hit. I didn’t Have the energy to do it.

I agree with you and am so glad the eye is tiny relatively speaking. The satellite image makes the storm look much bigger than the area actually in the full force winds - the further away from the eye, the less impact and wind - Cozumel Is also on the “clean” side of the storm which gives me hope that we will fare ok. There will be flooding, electricity may be lost, there will some debris - but this won’t be another Wilma by any means. Remember we had Cat 4 Emily in July of 2005 (same year as Wilma) it moved through very quickly. The eye was small
Like Delta and passed over the south end of the island. The southern hotel zone was severely damaged, but in town all we had were some downed trees and debris and power was out for less than 24 hours. We were diving again within the week.

I am hopeful but suspect diving will resume by The weekend. Once it passes, everyone will
Start putting boats back in the water and join together to clean up and get back to business. Anyone cancelling before its come and gone would be doing so very prematurely. I would at least wait until the storm passes to see how the island fares.
Hi Christi, you are likely correct. Never look at cloud cover on the satellite shots. This will not be another Wilma. Besides, its moving way too fast with a limited wind field. Good luck tonight and stay water tight.

Of course, this is just what a major resort destination that's been shut down for 6 months needs.
Let's at least hope the hurricane doesn't just stop like it's done before. Glad to see the eye to the East of Cozumel. I will be looking for reports on how Coz came through this. I'm rooting for you!

Rain from Hurricane Sally finished my roof off. We've already replaced all the sheathing and have covered it in Gator Skin, but we've been planning to put on the tin this weekend. The rain might put the kebosh on that. Still, that's nothing compared to what my friends in La will be going through. Via con Dios!

I've been watching reports on WeatherUnderground all night as it veered left & right, hoping for the best whoever takes the hardest hit. It looks like Puerto Morales is taking it in the nose with Delta slowing a little as it moves onto land. No mountains to disrupt it tho.
:(:mad::confused::eek:
Louisiana has had ENOUGH!
Swamplands and hurricanes have always been a bad mix. The east coast usually participates in storm season but seems to be taking a pass this year.

Yikes, the weather channel tracker makes it look like pretty much a direct hit on Coz. I hope I'm reading it wrong.

:(:mad::confused::eek:
Louisiana has had ENOUGH!
4hmvxz.jpg

Yikes, the weather channel tracker makes it look like pretty much a direct hit on Coz. I hope I'm reading it wrong.
I think you did somehow. I looked at that site and it says Puerto Morales too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom