Hurricane Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
For many years I have held that the threat of hurricanes, or even direct hits should not be part of your dive vacation plans. When I was running Aldora Divers I even gave "hurricane insurance" to our divers and guests of the Villa Aldora. Guess they still do.

But take note, now at the end of 1019 hurricane season not one (even tropical storms} has come anyway near Cozumel. Indeed the last one was 14 years ago.

My advice is: Don't let hurricane season determine your dive trip to Cozumel, or demand Hurricane Insurance when you book.

Dave Dillehay

For many years I have held that the threat of hurricanes, or even direct hits should not be part of your dive vacation plans. When I was running Aldora Divers I even gave "hurricane insurance" to our divers and guests of the Villa Aldora. Guess they still do.

But take note, now at the end of 1019 hurricane season not one (even tropical storms} has come anyway near Cozumel. Indeed the last one was 14 years ago.

My advice is: Don't let hurricane season determine your dive trip to Cozumel, or demand Hurricane Insurance when you book.

Dave Dillehay
1019? You sure your 73? :D

not one (even tropical storms} has come anyway near Cozumel. Indeed the last one was 14 years ago.
Dean was 12 years ago, and it was forecast to hit - still came close. I foolishly came down a few days before thinking I knew more than the experts that it would surely veer off, but it didn't change course until the day before. I did escape early the day before with confirmed reservations out of Cancun that Continental changed at no charge - gawd but I miss that airline. The airport lobby was full when I arrived, with many who had been in line overnight. There were people arriving at the hotel as I left, and I asked if they knew a hurricane was coming? "What hurricane?" It pays to check the weather and take forecasts seriously.

Wilma was 14 years ago.

I agree totally, and I still come most years in August as the chances are low. I always take trip insurance for other reasons, but even without - if one is forecast to hit, the airlines will usually give refunds or free changes, as will the hotels and dive operators. They don't want you there if one hits anyway.

Life in Cozumel keeps you young. Those DM's that look 30 are actually 124!!

Jay

Back
Top Bottom