Hurricane Ivan and Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are anyone has reports on how Grand Cayman fared from the hurricane.

I've read several of the news reports but we have been unable to get in touch with any of our family and friends on the Island. Initial reports seem to indicate quite a bit of flooding, but not as much structural damage as originally feared.

If anyone has some firsthand knowledge please share it.

Not sure if you have seen this report. This is from Cayman Netnews. It looks bad, but hopefully not as bad as if the eye had hit.

Widespread damage and destruction as Hurricane Ivan pounds Grand Cayman

Hurricane Ivan, as the most dangerous northwest and northeast quadrants of the
storm pass across Grand Cayman on September 12, 2004. The eye of the storm
was some 35 miles to the south of the island, with sustained hurricane force
winds of up to 155 mph extending outwards 90 miles from the centre.
NOAA - Visible Image

Sunday, September 12, 2004
At 9 am local time (10 am EDT), Grand Cayman was experiencing the full force of Hurricane Ivan’s 155 mph winds and 8 ft storm surge, resulting in waves up to 20 feet high.

As predicted, widespread flooding from the expected tidal surge was affecting a large part of the island. One report of a house standing eight feet above normal sea level had water ankle-deep inside. In lower-lying areas there have been reports of people having to climb onto kitchen counters to escape the seas that came flooding into their houses.

At the offices of Cayman Net News, at the time of filing this report, flood water was rising several inches above the foot of the doors and threatening to breach the integrity of the building. The entire office is currently at risk of being inundated with at least 4 to 5 inches of floodwater.

The hurricane force winds have torn roofs off and reportedly devastated homes, even in affluent, well-constructed neighbourhoods.

Vehicles parked in flood-prone areas are said to have “just disappeared.”

With many buildings, both residential and commercial, utilising septic tank waste treatment systems, the widespread flooding is resulting in serious health and sanitation concerns as overflowing sewage becomes mixed with the flood waters.

According to the National Hurricane Service in Miami, at 8 am EDT the eye of Hurricane Ivan was about 35 miles south of Grand Cayman, but hurricane force winds extended for about 90 miles from the centre of the storm.

A Hurricane Hotline spokesman in Grand Cayman said the eye was expected to “brush” Grand Cayman but not pass across the island.

All three islands are currently without any electricity, while water supplies were shut down Saturday night for fear of contamination from broken mains.

Sky News in Britain has been carrying live reports every hour from Cayman Net News Publisher and Editor in Chief Desmond Seales, MBE, from the newspaper’s offices in Allista Towers, in George Town, Grand Cayman

The just posted an update...not good. :(

Sunday, September 12, 2004
As of 11 am local time (12 noon EDT), Hurricane Ivan continued to pound Grand Cayman with155 mph winds as it moved slowly along the south coast of the island.

According to the National Hurricane Service in Miami, at 11 am EDT the eye of Hurricane Ivan was about 30 miles southwest of Grand Cayman, but hurricane force winds extended for about 90 miles from the centre of the storm.

As the centre of circulation moves to the southwest of the island, the winds will start to shift to the south, likely exacerbating the dangerous sea conditions already existing around the coasts. In previous hurricanes, the sea has flooded across the island, joining the North and South Sounds, and, with the 6 to 8 ft tidal surge accompanying Ivan, it is possible that hurricane-force southerly winds could result in breaking waves across the entire neck of land separating the two Sounds.

The government-run Radio Cayman is currently off the air as a result of damage to the building housing its studios, with floodwater 2 feet deep in the parking lot. According to Radio Cayman’s News Director, Joel Francis, “We just didn’t see this coming.”

The Government Information Service is also unable to operate and this report has been prepared from unofficial information obtained from local sources.

As predicted, widespread flooding from the expected tidal surge was affecting a large part of the island. One report of a house standing eight feet above normal sea level had water ankle-deep inside. In lower-lying areas there have been reports of people having to climb onto kitchen counters to escape the seas that came flooding into their houses.

At the offices of Cayman Net News, at the time of filing this report, a foot of floodwater has entered the building causing much damage.

The hurricane force winds have torn roofs off and reportedly devastated homes, even in affluent, well-constructed neighbourhoods.

Vehicles parked in flood-prone areas are said to have “just disappeared.”

With many buildings, both residential and commercial, utilising septic tank waste treatment systems, the widespread flooding is resulting in serious health and sanitation concerns as overflowing sewage becomes mixed with the flood waters.

At the Cable & Wireless emergency bunker at One Technology Place, a number of people were given shelter after roofs blew off their houses.

Floodwater rushing through the ground floor apartments in at least one condominium building in West Bay forced the occupants to flee for their own safety to the floors above.

There has been a report that the Hyatt Regency hotel had to be evacuated.

All three islands are currently without any electricity, while water supplies were shut down Saturday night for fear of contamination from broken mains.

Telecommunications are inconsistent and unreliable. Many landlines, especially those that rely on the mains electrical supply are out of commission, but cellular services are still working intermittently.

Reports from the Sister Islands have been scarce, but it is understood that many residents of Cayman Brac sought shelter in the caves on the Bluff, the traditional refuge from hurricanes on that island.

All emergency services personnel have been required to stay at their posts through normal shift changes because it has been too dangerous for the incoming shift to venture out in the current conditions. This has doubtless resulted in a high degree of tiredness and stress for those emergency workers who have been on duty since Saturday.

Sky News in Britain has been carrying live reports every hour from Cayman Net News Publisher and Editor in Chief Desmond Seales, MBE, from the newspaper’s offices in Allista Towers, in George Town, Grand Cayman.

According to Mr Seales, “This is a national disaster. Damage is likely to run into the tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars.”

Back...

Cave Diver:
Just wondering if there are anyone has reports on how Grand Cayman fared from the hurricane.

I've read several of the news reports but we have been unable to get in touch with any of our family and friends on the Island. Initial reports seem to indicate quite a bit of flooding, but not as much structural damage as originally feared.

If anyone has some firsthand knowledge please share it.
The most real-time reports I know are at http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2004/cayman.shtml. There's a lot of data there already, and I'm sure much more to come. None of it good, unfortunately.

Bruce

I have been trying cell phones but no luck either... If anybody hears anything, please drop a post. My friends at Ocena Frontiers are on the East End.

DeepBlueDivers, who does your friend work for? In case I can get a call in I'll ask...

Maria

Here are a few reports that have begun to trickle out to those of us who have property on Little Cayman:

"We just got an e-mail about half hour ago from our family that took shelter in their grocery store at the airport. The structure was brand new and they thaught their best bet was to huddle in the cement stair well. The Roof at Foster's blew off around 4am this morning and a support wall fell down at the other end of the store. Right now they are trapped in the store because there is 4 1/2 feet of water in the store. And not to add insult to injury the sprinkler system won't shut off. BUT they are all alive!!!! The entire Foster Family is all accounted for. They said it was the most terrifying experience they had ever had, and they are lucky to be alive. The airport in completely under water and the waves on the runway are about 6 to 8 feet high."

That, of course, was from Grand Cayman. Foster's Food Fair is trashed. Here's a tidbit from Little Cayman:

"I talked to my parents around 7 this AM and they said the winds were still too strong to venture around too much. I believe it was Whitman who took the fire truck out to look around. He said that Southern Cross lost at least one building and that the lighthouse point condos took a major hit. Now, obviously, I am not there to see this for myself, so I can't verify what he said for myself.

I know that my family, the Blagans, James, Larry, Bruce and Nelvie, two fireman, and Johnny and Valda were in the shelter and that everyone in the shelter is fine.

The north coast road was flooded and no one to my knowledge has tried to go up that way. I also haven't heard anything about Blossom Village, LCBR, or Pirates Point. Although I do know that the Splash House is gone, no big surprise there. "

Matt is the son of Dan Schroy, the pastor at Little Cayman Baptist Church. Previous visitors to LCM may have met Matt in "the store", where he often clerked. And "Splash House" is/was sometimes also called the "Salt Rock House". That's the one that was pounded up by Hurricane Michele a couple of years ago, then rebuilt.

"

This is making me VERY nervous. If Ivan doesnt turn right like he was supposed to for the last 48 hours, we will take a direct hit here in Cancun.

So far today all I have noticed is some decent surf hitting the reefs out side Puerto Morellos, and some decent sized waves at Playa Delfines.

fingers crossed for everyone in his path.

cancun mark:
This is making me VERY nervous. If Ivan doesnt turn right like he was supposed to for the last 48 hours, we will take a direct hit here in Cancun.

So far today all I have noticed is some decent surf hitting the reefs out side Puerto Morellos, and some decent sized waves at Playa Delfines.

fingers crossed for everyone in his path.
Go take a look at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tracks/1988.gif, paying particular to the path of hurricane #8. That's the path taken by Gilbert, the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic or Caribbean. Ivan has been following almost precisely the same path and on almost precisely the same dates, 16 years after Gilbert went through.

Back
Top Bottom