Hurricane Gustav

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my seat in the bar at Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman is looking pretty good. A few boards off the dock but they are being replaced. One of Divetechs boats is out diving.

Glad I'm here and not Little Cayman (Or New Orleans)

I had a brief phone call from my friends on Little Cayman. Alot of damage islandwide. The church lost it's roof as well as the grocery store. Here is a link from the Caymanian Compass article that I found this afternoon:
Cayman Islands - Cay Compass News Online - Sister Islands hit hard
Hope you are having fun down there Ian!

I had a brief phone call from my friends on Little Cayman. Alot of damage islandwide. The church lost it's roof as well as the grocery store. Here is a link from the Caymanian Compass article that I found this afternoon:
Cayman Islands - Cay Compass News Online - Sister Islands hit hard
Hope you are having fun down there Ian!

Thanks for the link... WOW! It saddens me to hear about the damage there on Little Cayman... And from what I've heard, possibly more damage yet to come...
I am one of the guests from Little Cayman Beach Resort that was evacuated this past Wednesday...
I must say... The manager there, Jason, handled himself with class... He seemed to be willing to go out of his way to please the guest... I'm a repeat visitor there and I love it and it's staff more and more with each visit... My heart goes out to them all on Little Cayman... I look forward to the day that I can visit again...

Southside-
Grounded Diveboat (I think its the Deja Vu?)
Craig confirmed it's the Déjà Vu. He also got a report about a crack down the side and bolts sticking out, but hadn't yet confirmed it. The boat had previously blown an engine. Craig is (and has been) in the states getting a replacement boat.

Southside-
Brac Reef - Reef Divers main dock area ("half" gone; still room to bring 2 boats in):

Sorry to say but theres not a chance in hell they can fit 2 boats on what remains of the Brac dock... I use to be the guy docking them.

It saddens me to hear about the damage there on Little Cayman... And from what I've heard, possibly more damage yet to come...

SORRY! My bad :doh2:Thankfully, my source is wrong... I was told Hana was turning into a hurricane and heading over towards the Caymans... After watching the weather channel, I am happy to learn my source is wrong... I don't think Little Cayman could have taken another hit...

Hi there! I normally spend much too much time watching chosen threads here on SB but I've been camping with some crazy people the last 30 hours. :shocked2:My grandkids! Love 'em dearly, but damn.
The resort is offering to give us actual refunds, not credits or discounts toward later stays... I believe they are nice enough to offer the actual refunds because there were so few of us staying at the resort at the time...
Cool. :thumb: Liquid refunds are always better than credits for return within 12 months, but any losses offset by credits are generally still treated as losses by trip insurance companies.
I used CSA too. Was in CB and LC the week before. Had a couple of days diving canceled due to Tropical storm Fay. LC only gave us dive credit vouchers good for a year. Not usable at their sister resort on Brac which was our next destination. Since I am unlikely to go back in a year ( and they are nontransferable), I talked to CSA, they said that should be covered. Will see after they process the claim forms.

Thanks, Don, for the additional insurance info.
YVW. Don't hesitate in letting me know if I can try to help.
Dandy Don, regarding insurance payments, in talking with Reef Fantasies who books for LC and Brac Reef, insurance companies call before paying out, so a person is unable to take both the dive credit for future use and the refund, its one or the other. I don't understand why an insurance company would pay for the lost days, then let you go later using credits for future stays, am I missing something?
Yes, that's true; did I cause confusion? The provider will usually allow liquid refunds or credits that must be used within a year. Some providers for a Coz-to-Holbox group trips a year ago charged us penalties according to the Group organizer - who knows?

What I was referencing is that the Trip Insurance company looks at liquid refunds as non-losses, but looks at future use credits as losses to be claimed and paid by them along with penalties and extra expenses within the contract terms.
SORRY! My bad :doh2:Thankfully, my source is wrong... I was told Hana was turning into a hurricane and heading over towards the Caymans... After watching the weather channel, I am happy to learn my source is wrong... I don't think Little Cayman could have taken another hit...
One of the six computer models once suggested that possibility, and that one model still suggests a possible landing on Cuba before turning north as storms in the T&C/Bahamas area usually do. All models now suggest variations of paths hitting all of the Bahamas and/or Florida Gold Coast before continuing up the Seaboard - see maps. Fortunately Gus was weakened by a couple of factors before landing in Louisiana altho storm surge, winds, rain, and flooding will still be significant.

When they do replace roofs lost in the storm to buildings with good walls, wouldn't it be nice if they used "hurricane clips" this time...? :crafty:

Attachments

• Hanna Mon.gif
    Hanna Mon.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Hanna2.gif
    Hanna2.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 64
Hard to tell a Hurricane passed by two days ago.

Wait until all the Juvies show up! We were on LC a little over a month after Ivan, and there were juvenile fish EVERYWHERE! Just about every large coral head had a couple of "dice" (Juvi trunkfish) bobbing around the top. Lots of fish apparently use the sound, confusion, and rough seas of storms as ideal times to spawn and guarantee wide distribution of their brood with minimal predation.

I heard that the dock at Rum Point got smacked pretty good by Gustav. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom