Hurricane diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puffer

Reaction score
Headed to Turks and Caicos on 09/15/03 and have a few questions regarding Hurricane Isabel and diving. How close does the hurrican have to pass to wreak havoc on the diving? The resort told me they dive any way and every day no matter what. This sounds stupid to me and dangerous. If you guys were me and there was a chance of a hurricane hitting while you were headed out to Turks and Caicos or would you try desperately to get a refund or would you chance it. Keep in mind I don't know if I could get a refund and may have to eat some or all of the loss. Keep in mind this was suppose to be a diving trip for a fairly new diver.

And if so, would it cover rebooking charges for this situation? I just peeked at NOAA's advisory:

WTNT33 KNHC 112021
TCPAT3
BULLETIN
HURRICANE ISABEL ADVISORY NUMBER 23
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 PM AST THU SEP 11 2003

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ISABEL NOW AT CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY...

SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT HURRICANE ISABEL HAS CONTINUED TO
STRENGTHEN...AND HAS REACHED CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. ISABEL IS THE FIRST CATEGORY FIVE
HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN SINCE MITCH OF 1998.

AT 5 PM AST...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ISABEL WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 21.6 NORTH... LONGITUDE 55.3 WEST OR ABOUT 500
MILES...805 KM...EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLAND.

ISABEL IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR...AND THIS
GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 160 MPH...260 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY OVER THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES... 95 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 185 MILES...295 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 921 MB...27.20 INCHES.

LARGE OCEAN SWELLS AND DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY OVER
PORTIONS OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...AND PUERTO
RICO OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

REPEATING THE 5 PM AST POSITION...21.6 N... 55.3 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...160 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 921 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 11 PM AST.

FORECASTER PASCH

I don't think that I'd want to be in the Northern Caribbean this week, but you've got a few days. If it passes T&C quickly without major damages, go. If it's still coming...NO WAY! That's a CAT-5 killer!

I'd do all the research I could tomorrow on what rebooking possibilies exist, as some places may not be open over the weekend, some may not even exist by Sunday.

Be careful! Don

For a resort/dive op to say that "they dive any way and every day no matter what" is just plain silly and treats you like a fool. There is nowhere in the TCI where one can dive in a major hurricane. On that basis alone I'd switch venues immediately.

Do be aware that Isabel is now a Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale (e.g., sustained winds over 155 mph), as nasty as they get. And, as you can see on this graphic---> http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/112053W5.gif , the TCI are going to be within its path of disturbance by the 15th. Based on statistical models, my guess is the eye will pass well north of the TCI, but these can be wrong & I can be even wronger. However, with a Category 5 the hurricane force winds extend ~60 mi from the eye, and tropical storm force winds ~185 mi. Marine conditions will be disturbed even beyond this.

Of course I can't make your vacation decisions for you, but I will leave you with a quote that you may recognize: "Do you feel lucky?"

Hope it all works out.

DocVikingo

Puffer, sorry to hear of your dilema. Having lived in Miami all my life, and been through a slew of hurricanes I would caution you to reconsider your travel plans. A blow this bad is not to be messed with. The devastation caused when one like this hits the mainland is bad enough, but in the TCI, it would be unimaginable.
I love diving the TCI, just not from late Aug.- Oct.
Of course the resort says they dive every day, no refunds that way. You are coming a long way for what could be a disappointing if not life threatening situation. I would try to recedule, if not refund. Or check on the weather progress when you arrive Miami and have an alternate plan. Fla Keys, fl. west coast. Hope this post does not add to your angst, just somewhat concerned.
John

We have been talking this issue alot on Diver to Diver....more Florida people involved....check them out

The family and I are supposed to leave Miami on a cruise ship on the 19th and be in Nassua on the 20th. Since this is only a three day cruise and the only destination is Nassua I am wondering what the cruise line will do. Can't imagine them sailing if this thing continues to head West. However, it appears it may be ok if it continues on a Northward track. Figured I would wait until Sun/Mon to make a go/no go decision.

Bill P.

I was in the Turks (Provo) a few years ago when a hurricane was coming. All of the resorts pulled in their chairs, tables, etc. and moved their dive boats to the leeward side of the island. No diving that day. During the night the hurricane veered off somewhere else, we had some rain and went back to diving. All I can tell you is the boats were moved for protection. Boats are big investments and it is not likely that anyone would put out into a storm to dive. In 1998 I was in the Virgin Island when hurricane Michael came through. Again, boats were run to the leeward side of the island. We dove the next day in stirred up water, vis was down, and it took several days to clear up. Now, I live in Florida and have a 38' MainShip. We moved it up a river last weekend and double tied it. Why? Because a hurricane is coming!!!!:confused:

I'm in the same boat.
Will be in WPB for a business meeting for the weekend and then Monday AM we're off for Club Med San Salvador.

Hoping for the best.

Hi, Don't know if this will help. A couple years ago, we were booked to stay at Sandals in the Bahamas when a hurrucane headed that way. We were able to switch last minute to another of their resorts in Antigua with no problem or additional cost. If you are booked at Beaches in T&C they will likely switch you to any of the Sandals/Beaches resorts in the Carribean out of Isabel's path. If you are booked elsewhere like the Allegro or another chain call and ask them for the same deal. Good Luck!

You may find that the airlines will not be flying into Provo on Monday if the weather is really bad. Sky King, the small island air service, would almost definitely not be flying.

Back
Top Bottom