Hurghada Late Feb - Dive Ops, Temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,
I'm taking my 75 year old Dad to Kenya and Egypt and plan to have two full days (Feb 25th, 26th) at Makadi Bay (just South of Hurghada). The one thing I didn't think to look at yet was diving and temps... And I'm sad to see it's pretty cold then! :oops: Highs in the low 70s? Probably too cold for much snorkeling at the resort? What's the water like at that time? I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water diving. Will wetsuits do the trick?

Are there dive ops you would recommend? I will be staying near the iDive Diving Center.

As I get older, I prefer shallower reef dives to deep wreck dives and open water for pelagics. I'd love to hear recommendations on dive sites! Thank you!
--Kyle

Are you taking your own wetsuit? If so, what mm is it?

Are you taking your own wetsuit? If so, what mm is it?
No, I won't be taking any of my gear this time. I'm going to Egypt for a trip with my Dad for Safari in Kenya and pyramids and such in Egypt (16 days), so I don't want to take my gear all over for just one or two days of diving.

Sounds like I will have to make sure they have a 5mm suit to rent! I'm definitely worried about the cold...
--Kyle

Plenty to see in the bay itself, Extra Divers are the in-house dive centre at the Cleopatra, the are germans and efficient, watch out for the sun, end of February air temp could be 75°F, sea temp in the Red sea doesn't drop below 72°F.

Sounds like I will have to make sure they have a 5mm suit to rent! I'm definitely worried about the cold...
I've always found a 5mm suit perfectly fine for the Red Sea in February, even for a full week or more of 3-4 dive days. If you know you're susceptible to the colder water and can only pack one small item of dive gear, a hooded vest - or even just a hood - wouldn't hurt.

As @JustSurfaceInterval said above, it can be pretty windy at that time of year, and it's the first 5 minutes of the surface intervals rather than the dives where you may feel it most.

Thanks! Looks like great dive sites and not terribly far. Can these dives be done pretty shallow? I saw at least one is a wall, but I imagine most of the coral life is on the plateau... Especially as a solo diver, I want to stay shallow.

Do divemasters in Egypt generally pair up with solo divers? Thanks,
--Kyle

I'm afraid they will never let you go alone for these dives.... at least with a buddy. Be aware there is nearly always current...

Pretty shallow...well.... the north plateau of panorama is between 20 and 40 meters, coming back (drift dive) on the west side at +/- 15 to 20 meters (on the east side it's a wall), and the south plateau lies between 20 and 33 meters, finishing the dive between 15 and 3 meters (and there is a second plateau at +/- 65 meters, if you like :wink:)

If you want to stay in shallow depth, maybe better to stay on the housereef of a resort / dive center

Plenty to see in the bay itself, Extra Divers are the in-house dive centre at the Cleopatra
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Cleopatra is a nice Hotel, especially if you stay in the Adult Only part, which is right next to Extra Divers.
Good to know! I'm planning to go ahead with that resort.
I've always found a 5mm suit perfectly fine for the Red Sea in February
Great. I'm not used to cooler water diving. :oops:
Pretty shallow...well.... the north plateau of panorama is between 20 and 40 meters
I don't mind 20 meters. And I've done plenty of dives at or close to 40 meters. I just prefer shallower these days. Occasionally I have some anxiety. And especially without a buddy with me, I'd prefer to stay a little closer to the surface. Thanks!
--Kyle

You will not be allowed do dive alone. So, 2 options:
1. get paired with someone you don't know and don't know how he is diving and don't know how many times he has been there
2. get a DM from the dive centre to go with you: "Private Guide". That may cost the one or the other $, but you will know that this DM will accommodate to the speed you want at the depth you want. And: it won't be his/her first dive at this place, so that he/she will show you things you will inevitably miss with your landborne eyes.
That's valid for the house reef as well as for any remote dive or drop off. Having a DM looking after you will be the safest thing you can do.
On a day trip, you will get paired with other divers in a group led by a DM, if you don't mind.
And - one more - as he/she will have a few 100/1000 dives under his belt he/she will not be offended if you want to stay at 10, 15, 20 m, what ever you fancy. Or, to say it in a different way: it will be his job.
You said, it's your one and only chance to dive the red sea - look at the price list. This will be well spend money.
Disclaimer: no commission, no stakes or any other relationship to that iDiver Dive Center:wink:
:cool:
Just wanted to say think you much for this post, looking for dive center to enjoy some diving from before liveaboard... this looks like I could do 4 dives a day without too much hassle!

...looking for dive center to enjoy some diving from before liveaboard... this looks like I could do 4 dives a day without too much hassle!
I was thinking the same thing, maybe to stay in Hurghada for a few days and either shore/boat dive (or both) prior to heading on one of the Northern itineraries.

@kyley How was your experience with the hotel and dive shop?

Back
Top Bottom