Hunting on shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone catch any bugs close to shore? What about spear fishing, muscles, etc.?

I was thinking about trying this, but isn't the water close to shore kinda stinky? Especially in the inlets and bays where all the boats are?

Is it safe to consume any of the critters you find close to shore? What would be safe to take? What wouldn't be a good idea?

I'm looking mainly for info on the East coast, especially NY/NJ, but if anyone else has info for other locations feel free to post. Please include the location in your post though.

Oh yeah. Yesterday we went on the other side of the bridge too. More to see over there, bigger critters on that side too.

Quite a few species in-shore and in the inlets, sea bass, blackfish, striper, fluke, and blues. The Point pleasant Rail Road bridge is a good starting point go to the northern side near the barge things start to get bigger there. The eastern side of the tracks is also very good between the RR tracks and RT35 bridge. If you look good you will find small lobster, small hermit crabs, small fluke and sea crabs. Where there is small there is big. Going away for the next few weeks but will be going there by car and to the Barnegat Inlet by boat In a few weeks, I`ll be looking for some dive buddys.

Ooooooooooooooo lobster!

What do you bring along to carry the bugs in after the dive. Also are they ok in that for a day or so?

I might try to catch something tomorrow, but probably wouldn't be able to get around to the cooking part until Monday.

Post when you're going. I'm up fo just about any weekend.

Make sure you check out licensing requirements before diving for lobsters... MA allows it with a 40$/year permit, but Maine and NH don't allow it at all. Illegal lobstering is a good way to get your gear, car, and/or boat confiscated, and rack up a hefty fine ($1000 in MA).

That said, I stick mine in a catch bag for the remainder of the dive, with a fistfull of seaweed if I catch more than one. I hear it keeps them from getting into territorial fights in the bag. After the dive, they go right in a cooler, which gets promptly filled with the first available ice. Keep em cold, and they'll live for several days.

MSilvia:
Make sure you check out licensing requirements before diving for lobsters... MA allows it with a 40$/year permit, but Maine and NH don't allow it at all. Illegal lobstering is a good way to get your gear, car, and/or boat confiscated, and rack up a hefty fine ($1000 in MA).

That said, I stick mine in a catch bag for the remainder of the dive, with a fistfull of seaweed if I catch more than one. I hear it keeps them from getting into territorial fights in the bag. After the dive, they go right in a cooler, which gets promptly filled with the first available ice. Keep em cold, and they'll live for several days.

Gruno- Check out this web site for NJ regulations. If you haven't crused this site. It has lots of good general dive information for our area.

http://njscuba.net/misc/regs_lobster.html

Ok here's another question. Why do most shore divers carry pole spears instead of guns?

Actually, in general when and why would you use one over the other?

A pole spear is supposed to be good for wrecks/reefs and shore dives. Shorter range, but you can take a few shots at a fish if you miss. The guns are more expensive, more powerful and have a much bigger range (which could easily be outside of the vis around here). Also, if you miss with the gun, the fish will be gone by the time you reload. I've used a pole spear in RI -- it was cool. Just picked one up but haven't had a chance to use it around here yet.

Back
Top Bottom