Hudson River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchfin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was coming back from Conn. today and crossed the Hudson up @ West Point. Does anyone dive that river? I was thinking about all the history surrounding it and was thinking it might be an interesting dive????

Last year there was a NY Times article about how a state dept. sponsored program to chart *all* of the wrecks in the Hudson had just finished. But... the results are being kept private then. they had said that the results, maps, etc would be made public at some point. Anyone have any more recent info?

It did say that most of the couple hundred wrecks that were charted had been dragged, dredged, and leveled although there were still some intact in places...

check this out too:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/imsmaps/benthic/viewer.htm
it only covers parts of the hudson, but it's pretty interesting.

I dive the Hudson a few hours north in Corinth (about 45 minutes from Albany). There's an excellent dive site up there. I wouldn't touch the water anywhere south of here to tell you the truth. Ew.

Interesting Site!! That should keep me occupied for a few hours. I take it from the other comments that this is a pretty "nasty" river?

dutchfin once bubbled...
Interesting Site!! That should keep me occupied for a few hours. I take it from the other comments that this is a pretty "nasty" river?

I had an interesting conversation with Capt. Mike (Capt. Mikes dive shop in City Island, Bronx) He is an ex- police, and dove the Hudson (NYC area) in and out. From it sounds, it's pretty nasty. Many police divers were using neoprene dry suits at their early stages, and were getting intestinal parasites, etc... They than had to switch to those environmental Poseidon suits for contaminated water with full face AGA masks...

Basically, I am with jonny on this one, would not touch the river any south of Albany region.

ewwwww!!! Don't need to dive it that bad! Thought with all it's history and all, there might be some interesting diving, but I'm sure there is nothing down there worth getting sick for! You'd think after so many tears of no-dumping, it would tend to clean itself up ???

Hrmmm, Im not so sure about the Hudson being so nasty as it used to be.

I fish alot off the Alpine Boat basin (directly across from Yonkers for you New Yorkers) and not a day has gone by while I am out there that I dont see people wave riding and/or kayacking and other wet suit activities.

So, either there are alot of stupid people out there taking huge risks (not an unlikely possibility) or the Hudson just has a bad rep.

Now I do KNOW that there is a huge PCB issue with fish and shellfish - Especially bottom feeders. However even on this point a yearly notice on the conditions are handed out when you go park at the boat basin and according to it the levels have dropped in fish sampled to a "safe" level. With shelfish a monthly recomendation of only 8oz or something like that (dont have the pamphlet in front of me.)

Hrmmmm

Spydertek

The difference in experience could be that the police divers were mucking around the bottom while looking for things. The Hudson river is cleaner now, but there's 100 years worth of heavy metals, PCB's and other contaminants still locked in the sediments.

I remember reading about a study being done. It was on the feasability of dredging out the contaminated layers and dumping them out to sea. It concluded that it would stir up so much pollution as to cause an environmental catastrophe.

With all that said, have you dove the Hudson Spidertech? Do you know of any good areas to dive? I'm thinking with everyone afraid to dive it, there must be a ton of bottles to be had. ( one of my pasttimes )

ScottyK once bubbled...
The difference in experience could be that the police divers were mucking around the bottom while looking for things. The Hudson river is cleaner now, but there's 100 years worth of heavy metals, PCB's and other contaminants still locked in the sediments.

I remember reading about a study being done. It was on the feasability of dredging out the contaminated layers and dumping them out to sea. It concluded that it would stir up so much pollution as to cause an environmental catastrophe.

Well I dont know about that study but I DO know that GE was (is?) under a court order to dredge a significant portion of the Hudson to the tune of at least 1 billion dollars. Ill try to find the article on that and post a link or something. I also believe they have till the end of 2004 to start the process.

Dutch, As far as my having dove it (the Hudson) No, I havent. However, I did meet at least one diver at the Annual NJ Scuba Flee market last year that had a display table about diving the Hudson. He said everything on the table was found in the Hudson and recomended the Mouth of The Hudson some point just below Staten Island for great treasure hunting. He said it was a dumping sight for barges of garbage in the late 1800's to 1920's and there were lots of bottles and porceline dolls and stuff to find.

Spydertek

Back
Top Bottom