HUD Mask, the military prototype, images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I found these in my big pile 'o prints.

This is of what I believe to be one of the first Military Prototypes of the HUD, being built on a Mares ESA frame. I'm sure someone here can add, correct or tell some more good stories!

IMG_07781.jpg
This will take you to a small album (on my SB Photos) of a few other second generation digitalized images (I pointed my SLR at the c46 prints) http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3185

This original was designed to accept the pricey $47 mil-spec version of a common battery, like a standard #123 or some such. When the (epsilon ?) testers tried to change the worn-out milspec battery to a brand new civillian replacement, they shoved the seemingly identical #123 in the tube and went diving.

When it sucked that one dry, they opend the battery case and noted that it had become inextricably lodged into that battery compartment. Quite the mystery as to why.

The Navy guys were poking at the battery with whatever was handy as we shared breakfast. I asked the for a look see and figured I could get that battery out. "Is it essentaily broken and useless in this state?", I asked. Getting the nod, I whacked the back end of the battery comnpartment with a fat butterknife~ and the battery plopped out into a young Ensign's oatmeal.

Turns out that it was designed and spec'd out for the milspec version of that battery. What was the difference? Once you peeled off the wrapper of the $3 version bought from Radio Shack, the battery was identical to the $47 milspec version. It slipped in just like it was sposed'ta.

This is why we have USGI $300 screwdrivers and/or toilet seats.

Just thought you'd enjoy a bit of ancient history.

What are the differences between this mask and the Oceanic Datamask? I thought Oceanic had a military contract too?

Other than looking at the pix in the Album referenced- I dunno. Looks a lot different in design... maybe the same data display? I know there were pipe dreams about depth, compass, ascent rate, spg, all that happy hokum. Look at the album- note the embossed property marking? This is essentially the Navy R&D Unit, (research and destroy). Prolly a prototype.

There are several types of Jeeps out there that were in Military use, they evolved fro a "spec" bid contract, I even have pix of the original HumVee, I rode in hull #13, quite a difference from the current one we all know and love (or hate). It was a low slung Chrysler mid engine that was like sitting in a broiler for 3 hours at 350 degrees.

There is a new spec design being let for bid on replacing what we call Hummers.

Sometimes bids are written to swing a contract to one contractor or the other. This is why the m9 Pistol was a Beretta. No different than the Colt 1911 winning out over the Luger.

The government will do what it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom