HP117 or HP133?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
My LDS has a used HP133 (3442 psi) for sale for $300. Hydro was 2 years ago so it’s still good.

Currently I’ve got an LP95 that I’ve had since 2000. Great tank. The HP133 is 2 inches longer and 5# heavier. I’m running a single tank aluminum BPW—XDeep Zen. No problems with the fit of the LP95. I’m 6’2 so length shouldn’t be a problem.

For my locale, it’s fresh water diving, BYOT. I figure run the HP tank for the first dive then the LP95 for the second. If there’s a third I’d be using a rented al AL80.

The other use, and what I’m leaning more towards, would be on dive boats out of Southern California that usually have their own compressors. In this case I’d run the HP tank and my daughter (17 y/o and 5’7”) or wife (5’4” and she pleads the 5th) would run the LP95. As most boats only run up to 3000psi my math would put the HP133 at 116 ft^3 in that case. Should the boat cave fill the LP95 to 3000 psi that puts it at 107 ft^3.

But my original thought was to go with an HP117. It’s a half inch longer and less than 2# heavier than my LP95 which my daughter should be able to readily handle. And in the case of a 3000 psi fill it’s a 102 ft^3. Prices for a new HP117 seem reasonable—jut grabbing from DGX it’s about $400 shipped.

So my thought it the 117 is more versatile that the 133 would be for use within the family.

Lp95=fx117. Need to use a factor. When filled to the same pressure they are functionally identical in gas volume. At 6’2” the 133 will probably be more comfortable for you when sitting so I’d go that route

Is HP133 too unwisely for someone who is 5'10?

Is HP133 too unwisely for someone who is 5'10?

I am 5' 9" and I use an 18L tank without issues when diving from a boat. I don't use the 18L when diving from shore because it is too bulky for making long surface swims from shore, I use 15L instead for shore diving. Diving from boat, the 18L is awesome. The HP133 is a 17L tank (approximately).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom