HP vs. LP / High Pressure versus Low Pressure steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading this thread peaked my interest. So I did the leg work for you UP. I live in Seattle also.

I found a place that will do it depending on the markings on the cylinder. Apparently some tanks cannot have the "+" rating re-applied. If the tank has the letters REE followed by two or three numbers than it can be done. Call Jim at Fire King (206)763-4177. He was very helpful.

Originally posted by retnug
Reading this thread peaked my interest. So I did the leg work for you UP. I live in Seattle also.

I found a place that will do it depending on the markings on the cylinder. Apparently some tanks cannot have the "+" rating re-applied. If the tank has the letters REE followed by two or three numbers than it can be done. Call Jim at Fire King (206)763-4177. He was very helpful.
Thanks retnug,
Hopefully that will be a help to those who need to get this done...

Well, we've got the two opposite corners of the USA covered...
How about the other two corners and maybe one in the middle...
Hmmmm.... I should ask Chris at COVCI....

"REE" is the elastic expansion rejection limit used in lieu of the formula I mentioned. The testers are supposed to be capable of calculating this from data in CGA bulletin C5. NOT. Now, the feds are allowing it to be stamped on the tank itself. Bureaucracy in action.

You're welcome.

Thanks, there is no legal requirement for the stamped REE number in obtaining a plus rating. It is stamped on the tank as a convenience only. A shop which is willing to calculate the wall stress number or REE number can legally + rate any 3AA tank that meets the requirement. I doubt many will be willing to do so. My opinion only.

pescador775,

I know this board is filled with threads with of DIR vs nonDIR divers, but, as a relativley new diver could you expand a little bit more on you criticism of DIR diving (do you oppose their whole philosphy or just some of their equipment configs)?

I had never heard much about DIR diving (My LDS doesn't think highly of "tech" divers and won't stock Halcyon) before this board. But, I recenlty purchased the DIR book and it seems to fit in very well with the type of diving many of us do here in New England. Could you tell me some alternatives to DIR diving besides using gear designed to be worn by my grandmother on her first dive in the Caymans, not working as a buddy team, and getting sub-par instruction?

Again, I'm very imppressed with what I have learned about DIR diving so far (the whole"deal" not just their equpment configurations that everyone seems to focuse on);but, I would like to hear the other side of the coin and you seem to feel very strongley that DIR diving and all that it advocates is a step backwards. Do you think the fact that they advocate that there is really no place for air diving anymore (just NITROX or TRIMIX) is accurate? Do you think they put too much stress on being in good phycial condtion?

Thanks

:confused:

Hi, Mass Diver, maybe I'm envious that I didn't think of the thing first. Given the chance, I think that I could make big profits by being as big of a pompous arse as the DIR gurus. I'm sure that Unk agrees.

I wouldn't say that there is a wide disagreement on gear and outfitting. The DIR leaders, however, use disingenuous, albeit slick arguments to support some of their claims. They have the upper hand inasmuch as the high priests have written some "little red books" (or videos) which are recited by the faithful, somewhat like Scientologists, or Muslim "activists".

The convergences between them and me are coincidental. The DIR people have rediscovered some old fashioned arrangements and techniques which I never abandoned. These would be things like low drag gear and physical fitness. However, I am constantly learning new things, some of which have been adopted, even recently. I can change. They can't, it would be heresy.

The dive industry, including instruction groups, have to keep thinking up new things to sell the sport of Scuba diving. They come up with new gimmicks of all kinds, including BC pockets, multi colored computers,"advanced" courses and the biggie, NITROX. The genius of DIR is to recognize this, peel off the parts they consider frivolous, claim the rest and promote what is essentially a cave divers' kit to the world. What they then have for sale is a jazzed up 30 year old kit applied in new and unusual ways, all the while advanced by relentless proselytising.

Come to think of it, do they have tax free status yet? (GGGG)

Oh, there are worse things; as long as they aren't killing anybody, only somebody's wallet, I wouldn't presume to tell you or them, or anybody else, what gear to wear or how to dive. In fact, if you are a cave diver, or are kitting up to make decompression dives inside shipwrecks, the DIR rig is probably the way to go. Otherwise, regarding the type of diving that most of us do, I will make my views known from time to time.

pescador775

Thank you for the reply. You make a number of interesting points that I will keep in mind. I assume your crtitisim of NITROX is that it doesn't make you less narced and if you dive the NITROX tables it's no safer then diving the air tables with air (in terms of DCI), NITROX just costs more?

It's a shame if the only training out there is to choose between being taught by some guy getting 10year kids ready to dive th FL Keys or a guy who only does 3 mile cave penetrations.

Personally, I don't want to learn as I go, I want to get quality instruction on how to dive the type of dives I like to do (50-100' wrecks w/some "easy" penetration, no deco). Now DIR is telling me that if I want to U853 (which I do) in 120' I should think about using TRIMIX? Hard to know what to think, guess I'll keep reading and try to see what guys around here have had success with.

Thanks again for the insight.

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
Personally, I don't want to learn as I go, I want to get quality instruction on how to dive the type of dives I like to do (50-100' wrecks w/some "easy" penetration, no deco). Now DIR is telling me that if I want to U853 (which I do) in 120' I should think about using TRIMIX?
Well the old fogey way is to just do it with air...

But for those who can 30/30 is super nice with an END of ~74 ft and a MOD of ~120 ft

But hey... some folks still have black and white TVs...
And of course some even claim that is their personal preference!

Posted by Uncle Pug:
"But hey... some folks still have black and white TVs...
And of course some even claim that is their personal preference!"

Ya, but, no one ever died insisting they prefered 8-tracks to CDs. Is this a matter of personal preference? Pug, I know you are big advocate of mixed air diving and I also thinks it's clear that for real deep diving you have to used TRIMIX (unless you have a magic powers protecting you from O2). But, DIR says that eventually air diving will be a thing of the past, is this a money making skeme (see above posts), foolishness, or is the the truth?

Also, pescador775 are you saying I should hold off on that new Halcyon bp and stick with my seaquest jacket?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom