HP vs. LP / High Pressure versus Low Pressure steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve:
I'm debating between two choices...
HP100 with a diameter of 7.25", height of about 24" and weight of 31lbs when full.
LP95 with a diameter of 8", height of about 25" and weight of 41lbs when full.

First question is about the valve (please no debates on yoke versus DIN) The Faber tanks at LPro list a Thermo PRO Valve-DIN/Yoke Combo. The valve looks pretty much like a Yoke to me...so what is this "combo" thing? I already have an Al80 and both our regs are standard fittings, so I'd rather not have to keep swapping adapters etc.,

The Faber HP100 weighs more like 40lbs. Not 31. Maybe a PST HP100 weighs 31lbs. But not a Faber. I have 5 of them now. And just bought 3 more..

bigcat:
What do you dive, LP or HP? Do you see a distinct advantage of one over the other?

My two main favourites are 1. my two 230 BAR steel Aqua Lung tanks, and 2. two 8L Poseidon HP tanks. The first one because I don't like too much of my weight on my hips. I like to call them my "Medium Pressure tanks." Here, when people talk about HP, they mean 4500. There's where the 8L Poseidons come in. If I understand correctly, they hold +/- 86 c.f. of air, just a wee bit more than a standard 80c.f. tank, but in a much more smaller package. I take care of my steel tanks, and they take care of me. I have never had any problems just because they're steel. Steel almost seems taboo with some people in States. Too bad the Poseidons can't be used in the States, w/o the (in)famous D.O.T. stamp on the tanks. Anyway, there you have it...
I just use Aluminium from time to time to stay used to them if need be.

pescador775:
If your wife is 5'5" or taller the HP100 from PST will be suitable. A really small woman or one who has different air requirements should consider the 80 steel HP. However, any woman who can handle the bulky aluminum 80 should do fine with a 100 HP steel.
Pesky

Pity you're in the States. A Poseidon 8L HP tank is nice and small, but with an amount of air comparable to an Aluminium 80. No D.O.T. stamp on Poseidons, though, that I know of.

My 1.9 BAR worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom