HP Tanks & Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm seriously in the market for a couple of steel HP100s(who isn't). While web surfing, I came across a notation on a dive web site that stated that HP tanks are not recommended for Nitrox fills. First time I've ever heard this. Can someone tell me why? I'd like to keep all my options open as I was thinking of doing a Nitrox class in the Spring. Thanks.

LobstaMan

The only thing I can think of is due the fact that some shops cannot fill HP tanks (properly and to the max limit), they just don't have the pump to pressurize them or their O2 banks are too low for it. Thus they don't recommend them for that use?!

If your shop cant give you a good nitrox fill on a hp 100 than you need a new dive shop.

If that's the reason, I'm all set. My LDS has the capability to fill HP cylinders with either air or Nitrox.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
I'm seriously in the market for a couple of steel HP100s(who isn't). While web surfing, I came across a notation on a dive web site that stated that HP tanks are not recommended for Nitrox fills. First time I've ever heard this. Can someone tell me why? I'd like to keep all my options open as I was thinking of doing a Nitrox class in the Spring. Thanks.

LobstaMan

New one on me. I've been using HP steels with Nitrox for several years.

no reason not to use steel w/nitrox. Probably someone is worried the high ppo2- would cause rusting, but this will only happen with bad fill or running out of air and water penetrating tank.

Back when nitrox became common, 1994/1995, there were warnings about trying to fill HP's to full pressure if you were partial pressure blending due to higher pressures for the O2. Were they paranoid or just being safe???

Does your shop partial pressure blend? If so, ask if they will fill an HP.

One reason could be that some HP steel tanks are succectible(SP) to rust. I know some of the older HP tanks were. With rust there is contamination, which could lead to a potential combustion with high levels of O2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom