HP tanks and their effect on regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11kiwidiver

Registered
Reaction score
If I dive a HP100, do I need to get a reg that is rated for that pressure (I have never checked).. and is DIN a must for higher pressures?

I had a same question when i bought my HP tank. The reg spec at 3500 just with yoke, and got a few hints it will be ok. So i kept my reg (oceanic Fx10) with yoke, and so far had no issue.
i did notice many divers with HP are using the din adaptor, but very often they have older gear.

Using HP tanks will not affect modern yoke regs at all. Those of us who use DIN do it not so much for HP but the DIN system with a captured oring is felt to be more secure and less likely to blow the ring. I have 7 regs. Two yoke(my pool reg, and one pony reg) the rest are DIN. But I can also convert a DIN to yoke in about 2 minutes for travel unless I want to use a DIN to yoke adapter. DIN is also used for the above reason by just about all tech divers using LP tanks. The issue is failure of the oring and lower profile rather than tank pressure even though that is a factor when using LP steels with "cave" or "wreck" fills.(LP pumped to 3500-4000psi)

......another good pointer, always ...SLOWLY pressurize your reg...this avoids 'shocking' the 1st-stage reg components.....also avoids 'slamming' the tank valve O-ring with high pressure instanteously.....I've noticed a much lower tendency for that O-ring to extrude/blow out if I do that instead of just cranking open the tank as fast as I can.

It should be noted that most 'HP' tanks are actually rated at either 3442, or 3498PSI. A tank that is rated to 3500 PSI must be 300 bar DIN.

If it is convenient for you DIN has a lot of advantages and most all new tanks have the 'pro' or convertable valves. Like Jim I switch out to Yoke for travel, it takes me 2 minutes on my AL legends and a large crescent wrench and allen wrench.

Contrary to popular belief, a 3500psi tank doesn't have to have a 300 bar DIN valve (or any DIN for that matter). It's just in this country, almost all 3500 psi tanks have 7/8 - 14 threads and none of the available 7/8"valves come in anything other than "300 bar" DIN.

Cousteau and others have used yoke SCUBA fittings at 5,000 psi.

Contrary to popular belief, a 3500psi tank doesn't have to have a 300 bar DIN valve (or any DIN for that matter). It's just in this country, almost all 3500 psi tanks have 7/8 - 14 threads and none of the available 7/8"valves come in anything other than "300 bar" DIN.

It all depends on what the yoke is rated to!

Hiya,

There are three kinds of regulator attachments I am aware of:
Yoke (in various guises)
Din - 200 bar (2900 psi)
Din - 300 bar (4400 psi)

With the difference in length being the only difference in the G5/8" thread that DIN uses for the two DINs.

As a guideline: If a regulator is available in DIN - 300 bar, then it will be OK for whatever you are doing with normal scuba tanks, if you can get it to seal.

Gerbs

Can you please tell us where you can get a 5,000 psi yoke setup including reg and tank?

If this isn't something that is readily available to the diving public than this is a mute point to the question and a complete waste of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom