HP ST120 vs. HP ST100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was in my LDS today and I happened to be glancing at the HP steel 100s. He had 2 genesis and one PST in stock. When I was talking to him about 'em, he asked if I was interested in 120s. I told him no, because I hear they would be a little too long for me [I'm 5'8"].

He then asked if they are still too long if they are $100 off each. In a nutshell, he's got 3 used Genesis HP 120s for 2 for $200 each [one year left on hydro] and one for $240 [currently being hydroed].

Now when I look at the specs, I see they are really only 3 inches longer than my AL80s. I'm probably not going to go for it, but more because they are a little too negative for my needs.

However, it got me thinking.

The PST 120s are only 2 inches longer than my AL80s, and only 4 1/2 lbs heavier [not counting air weight]. Bouyancy takes off 4.5 lbs. PST 100s are a couple inches shorter than my AL80s, a little lighter empty, and about 5 1/2 lbs more negatively bouyant empty.

I'm starting to think that PST 120s might be a good option, but I'm not entirely sure...

Which brings me to the next thought. The only reason I'm a bit against the Genesis tanks is because I've got 10 lbs on my belt. If I go with the Genesis 120s, I loose 7 lbs... which is a bit more than I wanted to loose.

However I'm going dry in a couple months, so I would assume going dry will add a little weight to my belt. And now the Genesis tanks are looking a little more favorable. I don't know how much I'd end up needing to add with a drysuit.. but if I had to add 5 lbs, and subtract 7 lbs with the Genesis 120s, that puts me at 8lbs ditchable which is what I'm looking for.

So... should I give this tank deal some serious thought?

i'd stick with low pressure tanks. I have the hardest time getting the one HP 102 i have left filled to capacity. I am going to sell that tank pretty soon. LP tanks are the better way to go in MHO

sheck33 once bubbled...
LP tanks are the better way to go in MHO

I've heard quite a bit of favor for LP tanks, but I've only really seen it here [on scubaboard], and not in the local dive community in my area. I know many people that dive HP tanks, and everyone I ask say they don't have any problems getting them filled.

Jeff

I have PST HP 120's, and I have never had a problem getting full fills for them, either with air or nitrox. Side by side the PST 120's are not much bigger then the Al 80's for 50% more gas. But then again, HP's are more common arround here then LP's so maybe the shops around here are just all set up for them.

Ty

Jeff,

Personally, I love my HP 120's. They are big, but they carry tons of air. I've never had a problem getting fills up here. I don't take them to the Carribean.

LP 95's or LP 104's are great, but you are talking about some serious money. I question whether its worth the difference.

You saw my HP 120's this past weekend. They are not impossible to handle. You are welcome to check them out the next time we see eash other.

If you're not interested in the tanks, I might be. That is a very good price.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
If you're not interested in the tanks, I might be. That is a very good price.

That might be all the info I need. He's got my reg currently, and I might talk to him tomorrow and see if he can clean them and get my reg converted by friday. That way I can get 'em and try them out on sunday. If I don't like 'em, then I'm sure I can find someone to buy them off of me.

Although I might ask to have them hydroed first. "Get 'em hydroed and I'll pay for it and take 'em if they pass". The last thing I want is to drop $400 for tanks that fail their hydro next year.

:doctor:
That is a good price to pay for 120's. The shop selling them should be able to fill them and it is not that hard to get tanks filled to capacity anywhere. If they have the rating for 3500 psi then the shop should have no problem filling them. Quite often the LP's such as 104's will get filled past their rated psi. I dive 120's all the time. Double for my cave diving and single for good ol rec diving. Depending on the thermo suit you are wearing you greatly reduce your weight. That is not a bad thing. The steel 120's will be more neg but they will also balance your load for weight by better weight distributuion. I don't need any weight with a steel 100 in a three mil suit in the Florida waters and when diving up north in Great Lakes I add 6 lbs for my 6 mil or my drysuit. Because you wear a drysuit doesn't mean you need to add more more weight. it depends on the type and fit of suit and you. Ask the LDS to dive them and see what they do for you. Try different weight loads. Lp steels often are heavier and have a larger diameter. I have never turned a dive using my 120's @3500 going head to head with my fellows cavers with LP 104 packed to 3000. If you decide to buy have them hydro first.

Okay so 3500 is considered HP and 2400 is LP...is an AL80 considered HP or LP? I see them rated to 3000 but often are filled a bit higher.

Mouth Breather once bubbled...
Okay so 3500 is considered HP and 2400 is LP...is an AL80 considered HP or LP? I see them rated to 3000 but often are filled a bit higher.

In general, when one refers to LP or HP, they are referring to steel tanks. Aluminum tanks are most common at 3000 psi, but you will find the occasional aluminum rated to 3300 [AL100s are commonly 3300 psi]. I've always thought of it as 3 classes. LP Steel, HP steel, and Aluminum.

Sounds like a good price to me and you will have a lot more air. ,

:relaxing:

Back
Top Bottom