HP, LP? what this all about

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy:
That's a great example because that OMS 108 is actually a rebadged Faber 108 and TDLs tank chart lists both as "actually" having a 108cf capacity.
You got it, Faber made em, and the number "108" appears in the serial number of both cylinder, with "Ocean Management Systems 112 Cu. Feet" on the top line on one side of the cylinder.

Luis H:
Edit: What I don't understand is who the heck came up with calling a 2400 psi tank (or even an 1800 psi cylinder) a low pressure cylinde.

I have the opposite problem - down in oz 'high pressure' refers to 300 bar/4300 psi tanks. A proper fill as God intended it.

232 bar/3360 psi tanks are standard.

A piddly 165 bar/2400 psi fill is a reason to pick a fight with the shop monkey who under filled your tanks. Tanks rated to this pressure may still be found displayed in some museums.... :D

You guys must make weaker tanks over there....

(or maybe I'm showing my lack of age...)

That's because OMS measures air volume (compressible) and Faber measures water volume. Thus, they're the same tank, but OMS is trying to pull a fast one.

H2Andy:
so basically, when you say 12 ltr tank, the tank will hold 12 liters of unpressurized gas, right?

Yes that’s right, cylinder size is quoted as the water capacity, it the volume of gas or liquid held inside at normal atmospheric pressure. All cylinders, regardless of size, type of metal or manufacturer are rated to either 232 bar (3364 psi) or 300 bar (4351 psi).

spectrum:
While we're on capacity.....
Does the rated (US) capacity of let's say 100 cubic feet include the first atmosphere of volume that will never leave the cylinder except under a vacuum?

Yes I know this is nit picking but it just occurred to me that this must approach 1% on an 80 CF cylinder.

Pete

on a 2400+ tank it is 1/179 or about 1/2%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom