HP hose/fitting leak - DIY fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
My son's SPG hose has developed a leak in the joint with the 1st stage fitting. Since the SPG is slightly unstable, we're taking the opportunity to upgrade his SPG. However, being a hoarder, I'm wondering if it's possible - and advisable - to do a home repair on the hose (e.g. replace the fitting) to get a functioning backup SPG for a small cost?

Assuming you mean the rubber hose to the fitting, you will need the proper replacement fitting, and a very nice crimper. Nothing wrong if you can cut the bad section out and replace it. If the hose blows it will slowly drain the tank anyhow. Repairing with a hose clamp is not a proper repair.

Assuming you mean the rubber hose to the fitting
That's right.
you will need the proper replacement fitting, and a very nice crimper
Since I don't have that kind of tools in my basement, I guess the old SPG is heading for the dumpster. OK, it was worth checking, at least.

Thanks.

No need to trash the SPG, just replace the hose. It is a damn bit cheaper this way

Pressurize the reg and stick the SPG and it's hose end in water to see exactly where the leak is. If the leak is at the fitting that swivels at the SPG connection, it is likely just the spool o-rings. There is a small tube called a spool which lies between the hose end and the SPG and allows it to swivel. This spool has a tiny o-ring at each end and leakage at one of these o-rings is very common. If the leak is there, just replace the o rings (pennies) or the entire spool which costs only a few dollars.

My son's SPG hose has developed a leak in the joint with the 1st stage fitting. Since the SPG is slightly unstable, we're taking the opportunity to upgrade his SPG. However, being a hoarder, I'm wondering if it's possible - and advisable - to do a home repair on the hose (e.g. replace the fitting) to get a functioning backup SPG for a small cost?

?????

CAN you ...probably with the correct fittings and tools....bit do you really want too?
say your fix isnt factory spec and your "fix" ruptures underwater.......a HP hose leak can sure empty a tank fast, and a new hose should only cost you about $20 at your LDS....I'm all for fixing what you can, but somethings IMO should be left alone and just replaced

+1: not worth the trouble, keep the SPG, replace the hose, especially if it's more than 10 years old.

Without seeing it - I am wondering if the leak is actually due to a faulty (i.e. broken spool). More times than not the spool is the issue not the hose.

CAN you ...probably with the correct fittings and tools....bit do you really want too?
say your fix isnt factory spec and your "fix" ruptures underwater.......a HP hose leak can sure empty a tank fast, and a new hose should only cost you about $20 at your LDS....I'm all for fixing what you can, but somethings IMO should be left alone and just replaced

Actually it is the opposite. Low pressure is the fast one. The HP orifice is tiny compared. I'll see if I can't find the scuba toys video.
http://youtu.be/2-dhP_jSO6I

My 1978 HP SPG hose went tits up last Friday. Bubbled like an aeration stone in an aquarium. I was in a pool and didn't have any plugs with me so I let it roll.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom