HP hose/fitting leak - DIY fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intuitively this seems correct, but in actuality it is wrong. It is a low pressure leak that "can sure empty a tank fast".

Correct, if your looking at Boyle's Law (P1V1 = P2V2) then a low pressure leak would result in a higher volume of gas loss, however this thread is refering to HP hoses and I didnt think it worth mentioning LP hose leaks...... I still maintain a HP leak does drain a tank FAST, and thankyou for your factoid

Correct, if your looking at Boyle's Law (P1V1 = P2V2) then a low pressure leak would result in a higher volume of gas loss, however this thread is refering to HP hoses and I didnt think it worth mentioning LP hose leaks...... I still maintain a HP leak does drain a tank FAST, and thankyou for your factoid

The HP connection for your SPG is a metered orafice, you need little air flow to measure pressure and an open line would would empty the tank fast and possibly beat you to death in the process. There is a chart somewhere on the board, I couldn't find quickly, which gives the times. A hp hose gives you minutes, return to the surface minutes (NDL), and LP is in the get to your buddy seconds.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Cappie, I'm really trying not to be a butthead. Did you read my post? I spent 1.5hrs in the pool with a leaking HP, I got out with over 900PSI on an LP95. And when I said it was leaking it was seriously leaking air. Have you watched the vid I posted a link to? Please do.

I just watched the vid again. Time for a HP hose to drain tank..... about 20 mins, time for a LP hose to drain tank....2 mins. You statement about the HP leaking out PDQ would seem to be an overstatement in any comparison. Again, not being ugly about it.

Cappie, I'm really trying not to be a butthead. Did you read my post? I spent 1.5hrs in the pool with a leaking HP, I got out with over 900PSI on an LP95. And when I said it was leaking it was seriously leaking air. Have you watched the vid I posted a link to? Please do.

I just watched the vid again. Time for a HP hose to drain tank..... about 20 mins, time for a LP hose to drain tank....2 mins. You statement about the HP leaking out PDQ would seem to be an overstatement in any comparison. Again, not being ugly about it.

Im not taking you as a butthead..and i hope i didnt come off that way either .lol, but i guess thats what i get for logging on without my morning caffine,....i did miss your post somehow but just saw the video and have to say it makes since, i was guessing it woulda taken around 15 minites myself....without doing all the calculus im going to just assume youd still be in a bad situation if your DIY crimping failed at depth with a already low tank....
bottom line HP leak = bad....LP leak = worse.....eather way the OP should just replace the hose and not worry about tools and problems associated with DIY fixes for a $20 hose
and im not trying to be ugly here either...just trying to clarify my thinking a little

Im not taking you as a butthead..and i hope i didnt come off that way either .lol, but i guess thats what i get for logging on without my morning caffine,....i did miss your post somehow but just saw the video and have to say it makes since, i was guessing it woulda taken around 15 minites myself....without doing all the calculus im going to just assume youd still be in a bad situation if your DIY crimping failed at depth with a already low tank....
bottom line HP leak = bad....LP leak = worse.....eather way the OP should just replace the hose and not worry about tools and problems associated with DIY fixes for a $20 hose
and im not trying to be ugly here either...just trying to clarify my thinking a little

We are totally simpatico. Dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom