HP Hose Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hose protectors represent a trade-off: used properly, they will probably help extend the life of the hose at the cost of not being able to see problems developing underneath them. If you use them, remember that the process of checking beneath them involves a lot of twisting and pulling on the hose at the swage, exactly the problem that the protector is there to prevent. They can also make routing a PITA. Hmm...

Personally, I don't use them. I check the hoses at the start of every dive when I pressurize the system and replace them at the first sing of distress - tiny cracks and rough spots will show up long before they give way. I also carry spares with me, which I've not needed yet but others have.

If you use loose hose protectors, there's almost no twisting or pulling.

Hose blowouts are insidious - even when you inspect gear for signs of wear and tear. I was teaching a masters diving class on a boat. One of my students (a teen ) was sitting fully assembled in his kit when the hose blew right next to his ear. All the students on board were shocked and made aware that stuff happens. Sometimes, it's amazing that more stuff doesn't happen given the level of neglect and abuse some people heap on their gear.

My student had to take a few minutes to get his hearing back as well as composure. Luckily I have yet to see a hose rupture UW. Ugggh. X

evad:
If you use loose hose protectors, there's almost no twisting or pulling.

If you use loose hose protectors they tend to slide down on the hoses and put extra strain on the hose connection. I think its best just to leave them off.

Uncle Pug:
I have only seen one turn into a fizzy bubbler... and lessee... I did have one where the little detent balls fell out of the QD...

I don't think it is a frequent occurance, but then maybe we just take extra good care of our hoses.. ... .... ..... ....... ....... nah.

I had one go last summmer. Nothing out of ordinary. Hose looked fine, no tiny cracks, hard spots, anything. Then when I hooked up the pressure it started bubbling.

So, UP (or others), what does 'extra good care' consist of? I've always looked over my hoses and ran an hand down them, as well as a good rinse after every dive.

O2BBubbleFree:
So, UP (or others), what does 'extra good care' consist of?
Maybe replacing it after 10 or 15 years? :banana:

Seriously, materials do age, get brittle, and then fail.

What really is a reasonable age to proactively replace an apparently good LP or HP hose?

captndale:
If you use loose hose protectors they tend to slide down on the hoses and put extra strain on the hose connection. I think its best just to leave them off.

OK, If you use (not too) loose hose protectors............ Mine don't slip, but I can't imagine a slipped hose protector putting any appreciable strain on a hose.

MuddyFox:
I turned on my gas before diving today and I heard the hiss of escaping air. I noticed the SPG hose had a blister on it and could feel air flowing out of the blister. White bubbles sizzled all up and down the hose. I have attached a picture for your viewing enjoyment.

My question is what factors contribute to a failure such as this? My guess is that this hose is older as I bought this SPG used. Does coiling the hose damage it to his extent? Lack of strain relief? Sun damage? Other?

I'm glad this happened at the surface, and not at depth. It sucked having to sit on the boat for an hour while the others enjoyed themselves. One of them suggested I go ahead and dive with them with that valve turned off. He said he would stick real close to me so that if and when I felt my air run out he could donate.

Uh, no.

The hose has been kinked at the fitting probably during the dive or another previous dive while under pressure. This damaged the hose, probably actually cut it or tore it. This is why hose protectors are actually a good idea though not PC on scubaboard. This rarely happens when a rubber hose protector is used. N

Nemrod:
The hose has been kinked at the fitting probably during the dive or another previous dive while under pressure. This damaged the hose, probably actually cut it or tore it. This is why hose protectors are actually a good idea though not PC on scubaboard. This rarely happens when a rubber hose protector is used. N

It rarely happens period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom