HP Hose Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyFox

Reaction score
I turned on my gas before diving today and I heard the hiss of escaping air. I noticed the SPG hose had a blister on it and could feel air flowing out of the blister. White bubbles sizzled all up and down the hose. I have attached a picture for your viewing enjoyment.

My question is what factors contribute to a failure such as this? My guess is that this hose is older as I bought this SPG used. Does coiling the hose damage it to his extent? Lack of strain relief? Sun damage? Other?

I'm glad this happened at the surface, and not at depth. It sucked having to sit on the boat for an hour while the others enjoyed themselves. One of them suggested I go ahead and dive with them with that valve turned off. He said he would stick real close to me so that if and when I felt my air run out he could donate.

Uh, no.

You were unprepared.... you should have had your roll of duct tape along.... yes duct tape for the whole hose and then a few zip ties for the bulge....

:D

Just kidding! But you were unprepared... save dive kit should have not only a spare HP hose but the correct wrenchs to change it out... and a spare HP spool as well.

What caused it? Most likely repetitive flexing at that point but there could be other contributing factors.

You might want to invest in some hose protectors when you buy your spare HP hose. They can help keep the hose from flexing so much at stress points. Sooner or later all hoses under pressure will fail but keeping it from happening often is worth the few bucks for the protectors. I had the same thing happen to me on a trip, but luckily I had a spare along. Was this the hose that came witht eh SPG and if so what type of SPG was it? I have heard from my LDS that some of the SPG manufacturers occasionally get in hose lots that are not as good as they could be.

Thank your lucky stars it happened on the surface...whew!!!! I got a cold sweat just looking at that photo!

I always bring a spare reg set with me......that way if any problems appear, nobody has to wait on me to do a field repair.

The hose protector idea is a good one, I use them liberally on all my regs.

That's one of the risks you face buying used.......'soft' hoses age with time/exposure to sunlight/heat/ozone/countless pressurization cycles/physical flexing/stretching/physical abrasion/etc.

Be careful buying used........I buy my gear either new or almost new.......often the cost of refurbishing a used item brings the net price up to the price of a new item.....a false economy.

Why not switch to a AI hosless computer.
I have had a few HP hoses blow in my time and the best fix is to get rid of it I now use a Uwatec Air Z Nitrox and dont have to worry about it!!

I always carry a spare HP hose in my repair kit incase a buddy has the same problem. Once saw one blow in 30M of water almost knocked the guy out, he said he thought somone had dropped an anchor on his head.

Chris

If it was other contributing factors it may have turned out to be lucky that you didn't have a hose protector on it. It may have gone unnoticed until too late. After seeing that picture I'm going to start looking under my hose protectors once my regs are pressurized.

- Jeff

miesemer once bubbled...
After seeing that picture I'm going to start looking under my hose protectors once my regs are pressurized.
Jeff... air hoses, especially the HP hose have small perforations in the outer covering to allow air to escape should the inner liner start leaking.

As MuddyFox found..."White bubbles sizzled all up and down the hose."

If the hose is leaking anywhere you will see it everywhere :D

Thanks U.P. for the hose education. What's an average life of a HP & LP hoses?

I don't go a day without learning something new on this board. Then again I have a lot to learn. :)

miesemer once bubbled...
Thanks U.P. for the hose education. What's an average life of a HP & LP hoses?
I have only seen one turn into a fizzy bubbler... and lessee... I did have one where the little detent balls fell out of the QD...

I don't think it is a frequent occurance, but then maybe we just take extra good care of our hoses.. ... .... ..... ....... ....... nah.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom