HP 130 or LP 108

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccooper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for advice on which tank to buy. I am leaning towards the PST E-8 130 but am also considering the Faber LP 108. I am now diving an alum. 100 but want something with more air for deeper dives and also something to consider for doubles later. When looking at the specs, these two tanks look similar as far as size and weight but I like how the HP 130 stays negative (1lb) when empty compared to +3lb for the LP when empty. I will primarily use the tank as a single but later as doubles occassionally. I mostly dive freshwater lakes (only because I don't live closer to the coast) and moderate to deep depths (the depths will progress with experience). I am 6'5" 215lbs and wear no weights in freshwater and 6lbs in saltwater with 3mm wetsuit. Don't limit your advice to these 2 tanks if needed. Thanks in advance.

Faber 108 are 1 lbs negative when empty AFAIK.
I have 2 of them with H-valves and was considering doubling them up later until I realised that they are too big for me as doubles.
Some chipping of the paint but otherwise nice tanks.

ccooper:
Looking for advice on which tank to buy. I am leaning towards the PST E-8 130 but am also considering the Faber LP 108. I am now diving an alum. 100 but want something with more air for deeper dives and also something to consider for doubles later. When looking at the specs, these two tanks look similar as far as size and weight but I like how the HP 130 stays negative (1lb) when empty compared to +3lb for the LP when empty. I will primarily use the tank as a single but later as doubles occassionally. I mostly dive freshwater lakes (only because I don't live closer to the coast) and moderate to deep depths (the depths will progress with experience). I am 6'5" 215lbs and wear no weights in freshwater and 6lbs in saltwater with 3mm wetsuit. Don't limit your advice to these 2 tanks if needed. Thanks in advance.

These two tanks while certainly not identical are very similar. Given the choice I would go with the E8-130. If you choose to fill this tank to the lower pressure of the 108 you will have nearly the same amount of air in the tank, in short you could if you wish, use the higher pressure tank as if it were a lower pressure tank. While you may find shops that will overfill the 108 up to the same pressure of the E8-130 you are overfilling the tank. Some people do not have a problem with this practice while others do, that choice I leave up to you and the place you get fills.

Given the greater flexibility of the high pressure E8-130 it gives you more options. You did not mention little details like price and if you have a preference of the exterior finish of the tank and I have purposely not addressed those differences, since you seemed more concerned with the volume of the cylinders, which is a very good thing to consider.
icosm14.gif

Mark Vlahos

E8-130 all the way. Hands down the best tank on the market today. I've got 6 along with a pair of 119's. You can never have too much back gas!

Just be prepaired for the added wt of the tank if you have only been diving alu 80's. While on land I'm sure it wont be a problem for you cuz it sounds like your a big guy but the water is another story. When I dive with my Seaquest Raider BC I use 6 lbs fresh, 3 mil using an alu 80. With my pst e8-130 and the Raider I use no wt and still sink link a rock even when the tanks low on air. I tried my E8-130 with my 6 lbs SS bp/wing and it was way to heavy under water. Had to use alot of air in my wing and felt unstable, It should be a good match in salt water though. I've got an Alu BP now for fresh water and my E8- 130 that I'm going to try with it should be a better match for fresh water. If your not nitrox cert yet you better go ahead because with that much air your going to start running up against NDL's befor running out of air.

GeekDiver:
Just be prepaired for the added wt of the tank if you have only been diving alu 80's. While on land I'm sure it wont be a problem for you cuz it sounds like your a big guy but the water is another story. When I dive with my Seaquest Raider BC I use 6 lbs fresh, 3 mil using an alu 80. With my pst e8-130 and the Raider I use no wt and still sink link a rock even when the tanks low on air. I tried my E8-130 with my 6 lbs SS bp/wing and it was way to heavy under water. Had to use alot of air in my wing and felt unstable, It should be a good match in salt water though. I've got an Alu BP now for fresh water and my E8- 130 that I'm going to try with it should be a better match for fresh water. If your not nitrox cert yet you better go ahead because with that much air your going to start running up against NDL's befor running out of air.

I would say to go for the 130. Better wearing exterior finish. The 108 is more or less the same volume as the tank you already have (Alu 100?). I would say the opposite of the post quoted above. In the water you won't notice much difference with the 130 (if properly weighted). On land/boats these big steel cylinders can be hard to handle. I own a set of PST 100's and a set of PST 130's. In the water they are more or less the same. Climbing up a boat ladder is another story. I believe the PST 130's are -3 lbs when empty (depending on which chart you look at). Not sure what you mean by "may be used as doubles occasionally". Doubles are assembled and left together. To much trouble draining and assembling/dis-assembling to dive as singles. You may want to look into the 130 as a single and something else when you decide to go with the doubles depending on your needs at that time.

I have been considering the OMS C120 galvanized LP (2640psi) tanks compared to the HP (3500psi) PST tanks my local dive shop has been recommending.

The discussions so far are arround tank weight and size. While this is useful what considerations does Nitrox add to the equations, partial pressures and how about fill stresses and the shops that short fill when they are in a rush or tired? I hate taking a 3000psi rated tank with a 2750psi fill on a dive with nearly 10% missing?

The OMS tank is neutral in FSW when empty. My preference is to be able to control the weight distribution and prefer it on my belt than in the tank walls. Any pros or cons?

diver_pirate:
I have been considering the OMS C120 galvanized LP (2640psi) tanks compared to the HP (3500psi) PST tanks my local dive shop has been recommending.

The discussions so far are arround tank weight and size. While this is useful what considerations does Nitrox add to the equations, partial pressures and how about fill stresses and the shops that short fill when they are in a rush or tired? I hate taking a 3000psi rated tank with a 2750psi fill on a dive with nearly 10% missing?

The OMS tank is neutral in FSW when empty. My preference is to be able to control the weight distribution and prefer it on my belt than in the tank walls. Any pros or cons?
Is this one of the new OMS tanks? If so, you need to do some reading on here and thedecostop.com, these tank's tech specs do not add up for the capacity listed, it defies the laws of physics. Basically what the specs are is a E7-120, but that holds 120cf at 2640 psi. That's not possible without changing the physical tank size, which is not changed.

But who knows....

Leave it up to OMS to redefine the laws of physics :wink:

jonnythan:
Leave it up to OMS to redefine the laws of physics :wink:
and get it wrong...Wheres Booger7-11 when you need him?

Back
Top Bottom