How's the Viz at CSSP recently??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will let you guys know when we will be there. Troy is so much fun, as you well know. I am so curious as to what happened on the dive that you guys are speaking of!!!!! I thought the barracuda incident was exciting!! I will be unable to make CSSP on Friday because of work. I will be down a weekend in October for sure. I am meeting a friend and several of his friends there. I will let you know more as it gets closer. I would love to dive with you two. You guys crack me up! But, you did inspire me to get my AOW. I have done all the classwork and have to do two dives on September 25 and am done!! I also signed up for Nitrox, but haven't finished the homework yet. Stress and rescue is next, then Master Diver!

HeyMikey:
We will have to try and make it for you and Troy that will be a hoot to watch :) The dive that Scott was talking about was a wild!!! wild ride Was a pleasure to dive with you Laura and I will bre more than happy to dive with you anytime....Are you coimng to CSSp on Sat or Friday??? we might be able to come on Friday but not sat

I would highly recomment the Nitrox. Since ladies tend to use less air, you will be amazed by how much your bottom times will be extended.

As for the wild dive, here's the short version. We went to Tormentos to check out the sea horses. Me and Tony, Mike and his wife with Chucho and then a couple doing some skill for their open water (second time in the water) and an old guy doing his AOW that IMHO should have been back in his room....terrible if not dangerous bouyancy skills (just my opinion).

We drop in to do a deeper profile, Alison takes the students to a sandy spot. All is going great. Current is mild and the plan is for ~60 ft then meet up with them when we get to the sea horses. About 5 mins. in, the current picks up, Alison moves to a gap in the reef to allow them to continue. 7 min in...current is a little stronger, no big deal, bad for taking pics. 10 min in....a freaking UW tsunami hits. Everyone starts flying down the reef. What was freaky about it was that the current was pushing down so we had to move off the reef and try to dig into the sand. All is relatively OK then old dude shoots to the surface like a rocket (said his inflator got stuck or something) Alison has to take off after him. The two students get with us and Mike grabs on to them to keep them from tumbling over the Cancun ;-). So we all try to dig in and wait it out. There would have been no way to safely head up because of the strange way the current was pushing. About 5 mins (felt like an hour) later, no current, we are at the beginning of Chukanaab* and are in a sand out(like a snow out, only sand) with a vis of about 10 15 ft. Alison takes the students up (who didn't know any different and thought this was a normal dive) and then we come up a tad later with Chucho. So we ended up doing the reef plus part of another one in 39 mins instead of 60 to 75mins. Now thats drift diving!

Back on the boat, Alison is freaked by the way the current came out of nowhere and sayinng that its those that cause divers to get lost (i.e. bye bye never seen again) on the wall dives. I do have to commend Alison and Chucho for the way that they kept everyone together and safe. That poor girl was working her ***** off taking care of the old guy and still keeping an eye on everyone else. I don't think that any of us was in real danger (other than ending up in Cancun) because we had a bottom and all of us were cool about it. Heck, I don't even think that Tony noticed it.

See what you miss when you leave mid week?

As for the Throat, nope, nada, never. I will just have to live vicariously* though you all and your vivid reports about it.

Just for my own edification, what does CSSP stand for and where is it?
I presume it's a state park.

the K

Scott,

That sounds absolutely crazy!! I would say that I am glad that I wasn't there, but I would have rather been there and gone through it than to be back in Oklahoma. There is always the next trip, though. From Alison's reviews, it seems the current has been crazy lately anyways. I am glad that all of our dives were good. But, then again, with Alison, how could they not be??

I enjoyed your pictures. I appreciate your sharing them. I have been searching for a good underwater digital camera to buy, and am trying to heavily research feedback before spending my hard-earned money, but I *will* have it before my next trip in six (long) months. Got any suggestions??

Hope all is well!

Go Kats!!!!!

Jen

P.S. Did you get Tony's pictures??? They are freaking great. Makes me want a camera like his!!

No , he didn't send them this way or else, I deleted them by mistake. I will email him today but if I don't hear from him, I might hit you up to send them to me. I have a Sea&Sea 3 MP digital camera. Its nice but for the same price, you could find a good Canon with a housing. My major dislike with the one I have is there is no zoom. You mainly get close enough, snap the pic, and pray.

Awesome pics, Scott! Thanks for posting. Yall saw some awesome critters.

Foo

galscuba:
A new dive buddy and I are venturing down to CSSP and meeting up with another dive buddy. She has never dove there before and I was wondering if the visibility was still bad there due to the algae? I would appreciate any information that I could get!! Thanks so much.

I made 2 dives at CSSP on 8-31. It was my first time there. I had only one other dive since my certification. It was the best vis I had seen at the time. The first day of my lake dives vis was about 3' at best. Next day it was probably 6'.

I estimate about 10' for the trip to CSSP. It was better near the plane and the shark than at mid levels. At the thermocline there was a layer of zero vis (or at least that is the way it seemed) and then it got better below that. I cant remember at what depth that was.

I would like to go again. I havent been diving since a 2 day trip to Balmorhea on 9-8 & 9-9. I am getting withdrawal. See http://ez.com/diving for some picts from that trip.

If anyone is going and doesnt mind an old-guy, new diver along, let me know. I can go during the week or on the weekend, but would probably prefer during the week.

Thanks for the info, Willie. People are saying that CSSP is clearing up. I am glad to hear that as I plan a few more trips there before the year is up. I will post as the times come so that others can join in on the fun that always follows hardcore divers. :)

I see that you are hitting Cozumel soon?? I just got back from my first trip there and my first ocean dives. You will absolutely love it!! Everyone said that I wouldn't want to jump in a lake again, but I still have the fever. :) However, I have already planned for another Cozumel trip and a liveaboard as well. I cannot get enough. :) Who are you diving with while you are there?

Back
Top Bottom