How's the Diving in Haiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Paradise Hunter,

Please delete the post below. I don't know what "sources" you were checking, but the HIV prevalence rate in Haiti is 1.8 %, which is way less than Washington D.C. (2.5) and only slightly more than New York (1.4). In any case, unless your dive trip involves lots of unprotected sexual encounters, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, going for a vacation in the Caribbean 2 hours from Miami is not quite the same as hiking in to the African bush for three days hunting dangerous wild game, so travelling with blood is, in fact, crazy.

You may be surprised to learn that every year, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of missionaries, church groups (with gaggles of teenagers), NGO workers, other business people and travellers all visit Haiti from the US and return pretty much the way they came in.

If you are interested in actual information about diving or visiting Haiti, please feel free to send a PM or ask on the discussion boards. I will take this message down whenever the message below is removed.

Kind regards,

James

I have never been there, but here are some links I found from a google search. Looks like only two shops, I would bet there are a couple more.

Be aware of a very high rate of AIDS infection in Haiti. It would be wise to travel there with a couple of pints of your own blood in case of a emergency. Sounds crazy, but it is recomended to hunters when traveling to Africa. DAN insurance is a must and I would give them a call to ask about evac options from there.

Good luck.

Dive Haiti Scuba Diving Centers :: CYBER DIVER ScubaLinx

Haiti Scuba Diving Directory

Back
Top Bottom