How's the Diving in Haiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man! There are so many misconceptions about Haiti. No wonder Haiti does not get any tourists at all from Americans. It is true that Haiti is poor and politically unstable. But it is not as bad as the media makes it seems to be. I live in Haiti and I love scuba diving in Tortuga, Haiti. It is one of the best places to scuba dive and kitesurf in the world. Please check the following links and educate yourselves: Please check:

Discover Haiti: Sights and Travel Page
Bienvenue à Port Morgan (Île à Vache, Haïti) : Hôtel de rêve
Tortuga Island Haiti - Ile de la Tortue
Nouveau Kiskeya, New Haiti Free Zone
Yéle Haiti - established by musician Wyclef Jean to assist his native land of Haiti

Welcome ScubaHaiti. I need a Dive operator around Montrouis, just south of St. Marc. Can you help me out?

Sharkman, I was diving in that area a couple of weeks ago with a visiting scientist but he told me Kaliko Beach hotel in the same area has a compressor and tanks.

The dives were in the Arcadin Islands and were quite nice. Lots of fans, sponges, flamingo tongues but not many fish. See pics from dive here :

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/244149-arcadin-islands-haiti.html

I am stationed in the North near Cap Haitien and looking for dive buddies. ScubaHaiti, are you in the vicinity ? I have brand new small portable compressor and 4 steelies available and dying to use em.

Any takers out there ??

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the info. Can you say what the scientist was working on and who he was with or where he was from? We are trying to help start some conservation efforts there and if he was working around Kaliko we need to get in touch with him. Thanks again!

Welcome ScubaHaiti. I need a Dive operator around Montrouis, just south of St. Marc. Can you help me out?
Sharkman,

Just a couple weeks ago I finished my Open Water Certification at Pegasus, the dive shop next to Kaliko Beach. Jose has compressor, tanks, regulators, BCD's and all other stuff for basic dives. I have been diving every Sunday since then, so if you have any specific questions you need to ask about their shop, let me know. Basically, it is a small marina and his house. No commercial storefront.

HAITI UPDATE

We are just back from a day of diving off la Gonave Island, and the Arcadin Islands. The water is finally clearing up after all the devastation and flooding in the Gonaives and Cabaret areas (north and south of the dive shop). Jose's boat ramp took some damage, but he is able to get the dive boat in and out of the water, so all is good.

Today was my first dive near la Gonave, and it was on a wall. Unfortunately, not too much to see except a few schools of blue chromies.

Second dive was on the Arcadin Islands. These have to be the best dive sites we hit here. Lots of life (by Haiti standards) and LOTS of structure. Tube and barrel sponges, a few lionfish, lots of trumpet fish and a rainbow of small stuff. One guy with a new camera was going crazy, shooting all the macro stuff.

As usual for Haiti, there were no big fish. But this was my first dive since all the flooding, and it was good to see the reefs are as healthy as before.

I lived in Haiti from 1985-1986 in a neighborhood called Paco, a little outside of Port-Au-Prince. I agree with ScubaHaiti, Americans need to educate themselves with foreign countries with more than what we see on the news. This is what makes Americans look ignorant when we travel overseas.
I used to dive, shore dives mostly off of a beach house that was about 1 hour north or Port-Au-Prince.
If I had the experience that I have now I would of course be looking for wrecks. Back then I was 15 and just wanted to dive. What made the location where I used to dive interesting was, there was a major railroad accident there. Apparently there was a cliffside train track a few hundred feet up a mountain. During a rainstorm a landslide occurred and the train and tracks fell into the ocean. Just so happens that the cliff continued into the ocean to a shear wall that dropped off to, I can't remember how deep. You could see the tracks and some cars during the dive continuing to the bottom of the ocean. Pretty cool.
20+ years ago Haiti was different but kinda the same. When people ask me how it was. I usually tell them this is where I saw my first naked woman and my first dead body. But hell you can see that in Los Angeles.
I would definately travel back there again. As for diving though there are a few dozen places on my list that I would like to get to before going back there.

Pocestnik,

Are you still in Haiti or were you visiting?

Pocestnik,

Are you still in Haiti or were you visiting?
I am still in Haiti, will be here (hopefully) until May. Possibly longer, if our contract is extended. We are working to rebuild the Haitian police, so not likely to run out of work anytime soon.

You coming for a visit?

Back
Top Bottom