How's the Diving in Haiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings divers,

My name is Harry and I used to be a scuba instructor at Kalico beach resort in Haiti. I was there before and during the revolution and about a year later for a week. I know where many dive sites are around the arcadins island and La Gonave. If I could go back there to work again I would like to. I

I have been a diver since the mid 60's and an instructor since 1967 when SSI and PADI were first starting. I proudly carry an SSI platinum 5,000 card.

I loved the diving there and probably would have never left if it hadn't been for the revolution. The major drawback was the lack of fish. Even then the reefs were overfished and only a few tropicals left but the reefs were some of the most colorful I have seen. I have scanned some slides from then and have them as JPG now so can share some if you want.

I see by the pictures the hotel has changed dramatically but the reefs are probably OK since no one dives there or doesn't know where to go. We had what we think was the worlds largest orange elephant ear sponge measuring and actual 16' x 15' and a grouping of azure vase sponges over 4 feet tall. Both accessable via a beach dive. You can see the sponge in Tom Mount's book of underwater photography.

Most dives were lass than 80' but we did have a wall dive with the big sponge. We waded in off the beach and the wall began at a depth of 4'. Yes- four feet. Really A vertical drop starting at 4'.

Then there was the garden of Eva. a scuba dive to 15' You wouldn't believe it.

One poster mentioned about starting a preserve or something? I understand that the Arcadin islands were turned into an underwater national park and named the Alan Baskin Underwater Park. After the Dive operator I worked for at the time. The name could be wrong but I heard that the islands did get a designation.

If there is a place to post pictures here I will if y'all want. Drop me a note.

If I thought I could go back to Kalico and start another dive business, I just might someday.

Dive safe y'all.

Harry

I am 65 now and still dive regularly. I live aboard and cruise full time on a sailboat so will be diving even longer.

PS. The Brandon mentioned the train wreck. I used to dive the site weekly but the wreck is below scuba depths. Nice reef though. Here is a cool true story. Cousteau's Calypso started their rediscovery of the world they came to Haita and dived the Arcadins, They also sent the diving saucer down to find the train wreck and did locate it. I was there the day they did it.

Some folks mentioned Jose. He was there then but operating a daysail business out of club med. 1.jpg2.jpg

Hello all!
I know it's been a while since there have been updates (apart from Harry, but as far as I can tell you're not actually there right now, is that right?), but I was wondering if any of you lot who said that you are out in Haiti when you posted a couple of years ago are still out there? I'm about to head back to Port-au-Prince (after a couple of months in London) until at least the end of the year and I'm wondering if I should bring my equipment with me...
I haven't met any divers in Haiti so far (I was there for about 6 months recently), so I'm not sure... Are there still places with compressors? Does anyone have a spare tank so I don't have to lug mine out? Would anyone be happy to show me a couple of places?
Please please get in touch! I'd love to see what the water is like in Haiti, I bet it's fab! And it would be a wicked thing to do when I'm not working :)
Cheers guys!

If you are headed to Haiti, drop Jose a line at nicolemarcelinroy@yahoo.com. He is running the dive shop at Kaliko Beach, and had regular scheduled dives every weekend when I was there. I am still on the Haiti Diving list on Yahoo, so I know they are still operating. You should also get someone to subscribe you to that list, as all the divers in Haiti use it to connect. Look for <ayitiplonje@yahoogroups.com>.

Diving was good, nice reefs & lots of sponges, but not many good fish. Jose has a few wrecks they dive, in addition to La Gonave & the Arcadin Islands. Maybe not the best diving in the world, but it beats the hell out of anything else you can do in Haiti.

Good Luck,

Keith Carr

Brilliant, thanks for that info Keith!!! I'll get in touch with him now and will hopefully be able to test the water in the next couple of weeks or so.

:) Becs

I am in Port au Prince now, and would like to go diving in the next two weekends, if you want to share expenses and have made a contact with a diving org. here, I am for it.

Hepf

Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum. Im living in Haiti and was just certified in the Dominican republic. I want to do some diving, lots actually, while im living in Haiti. Has anyone found any good dive shops?

Thanks,
Kohl

Anyone heading out to dive with Jose at some point in the next 2 months or so? I've got just over 2 months left in Haiti and would love to head out again, esp. before rainy season starts in earnest... I have no transport so would love a lift up - would obviously be happy to pay for share of gas! I'm based in PaP, near the airport but can meet pretty much anywhere. Give me a shout: +509 3433 0465
Thanks!!!

I hope you guys find some diving and can share the information. I will be making a trip to Haiti in October and would like to dive while I am there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom