How's the diving in Dry Tortugas lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know what you think of the diving

Will do! Everything I've heard has been good so far!
No doubt the diving in Tortugas is good, and little doubt that it's notably better than the rest of the Keys.

The burning question I have is it worth the cost of about $500 for 3 dives (assuming you can fill the 6 pack with divers) and the 4 hour round trip boat to get there, in addition to the long drive you gotta make to get to Key West.

No doubt the diving in Tortugas is good, and little doubt that it's notably better than the rest of the Keys.

The burning question I have is it worth the cost of about $500 for 3 dives (assuming you can fill the 6 pack with divers) and the 4 hour round trip boat to get there, in addition to the long drive you gotta make to get to Key West.
I believe you get a tour of Fort Jefferson too which normally costs 190 just for that...but will definitely everyone know!

I'm headed to the Keys next month and the Tortugas has been a bucket list item for quite some time however recent searches don't find much to say about it other than what is written on websites by companies that profit from divers (and snorkelers) going there so I take that with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Since I'm not seeing much else about it here on ScubaBoard or really anywhere else, and most dive Ops other than Finz are not taking divers there anymore I'm thinking there's good reason for it. If the diving was so great there, then there would be a lot more to say about it.

Finz dive center charges $2300 for a 6 pack private charter plus $55 per diver for 3 dives. You can do 4 dives if you skip the fort tour and there's an additional fee for the 4th dive, plus rental gear and tanks if you need them. So even if I can get 4 more divers to fill the boat, you're talking the better part of $500 for 3 dives (I need tanks and weights).

Can anyone tell me the diving is that much better than elsewhere in the Keys that it's worth trying to fill about, spend that sort of money and travel 2 hours each way to get there?

And/or can most of the same stuff be seen by taking the Ferry for under $200 bucks and snorkeling around the island?

Thanks
I flew out there two years ago. The flight itself was fantastic (6 person sea plane). We spotted hundreds of turtles, sharks, and dolphin (from the low flying plane). We could not bring our dive gear on the plane so we brought our snorkel gear. We swam away from the island to a reef maybe 200 yards away. It was fantastic! Full of life. We snorkeled around the dock…nice. Wish there was an easy way to get there with dive gear. The liveaboard prices seem crazy high for that trip.

is it worth the cost of about $500
For me >>>>> 100% Y E S. It's consistently big fish that you won't find elsewhere in FLA. And I'm even talking about right outside the park boundaries line. Inside that line is even better for photography especially on Sherwood Forest & Playmate Rock that were loaded with big fish. It's not a macro photography trip by any means, this is the big stuff. I'd pay $500 easily for a 3 tanker go fast out there.

Thank you guys for the information and the question! Hubby and I have been out of the water since Jan. 2019 and want to dive desperately. But we're spoiled Cozumel and southern Caribbean divers regarding visibility and variety- so Florida really hasn't enticed us, even though we moved here two years ago. Cozumel and the USVI just seem too iffy re: flight and car reservations and all round travel difficulties. This info is from our dive ops and not just chatter. Any recommendations for diving in Florida that doesn't involve shark teeth (LOL) and has some consistently decent visibility?

We did the Ultimate Getaway a few years ago, maybe 10 and for me, the best part was diving the tower, on the way back to Ft. Myers. Lots of sharks, schooling barracuda and Goliath Groupers. It's no comparison to Cuba which we have done twice in the last 5 years. The Garden of the Queen is the best diving in the Caribbean. We're going back as soon as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom