How's the diving at Bonneville and Homestead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got the big ski vacation planned in March and I also wanted to check out Bonneville Seabase and Homestead Crater. Is it worth the price of admission?

I was at the crater this past weekend. It was interesting, certainly unique and a nice warm dive. I think it's worth doing once. Never been to seabase

Agreed about the crater, there is a report on Sea Base i just posted under Sea base anyone? I really like it.

Thanks for the input -- I read the report and will definately check it out when I'm there. I read on their website that the facility can be rented for $90 for 1/2 day. Does it make sense to do that Mon - Thu or just do the weekend dives along with everyone else?

I did my cert dives at the crater. It is truly diving in a hot tub. Not bad after a day of skiing. Same deal with all of the certification agencies, especially this time of year when local sites are frozen over.

I've been to both.
Seabase was very silty and salty. It kinda reminds me of a M.A.S.H. unit in the middle of nowhere. A onetimer.
Homestead was very hot. I think I got down to 50 feet and and went back up it was just to hot. Very salty so make sure you wash everything. Also a onetimer.

Both are unique and might impress a new diver. Good Luck.

The Crater isn't as hot as a Hot tub. A water temp in a hot tub will sting your face when you stick it under the water. The crater stays around 89-92 degrees in the winter. It's probably a hot tub in the summer, but its a nice dive when you dont want to cut a hole in the ice.

I dove to 60' there on Wednesday where the vent is that pushes in the fresh hot water. It still wsn't very hot. It kinda felt like a pool vent. If you dive after 4pm its you may want to bering a light. They have some lighting there, but it's almost a night dive.

I'm waiting for my brother to finish certifying before I hit the seabase.

I've been to the Crater several times, and will be going back next month because:

A) Its steamy, volcanic-like ceiling makes me feel like I'm diving in a secret lair.
B) The resort itself is homey, cozy, and has decent food.
C) It's the only place I can dive in the winter without freezing my *&%! off.

That said, some people get bored with it after a couple visits. There's not much to see underwater (other than a plastic crocodile, a suspended wagon wheel and some platforms) and I've heard it's a little too toasty for some in the summer months.

However it's a *great* value if you're looking for a unique place to practice skills or test out equipment -- or simply if you need a quiet, relaxing mountain getaway.

Some pics:

Homestead Crater on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom