How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to weep over missed opportunities all you like; I'll save my sympathy for people who don't cop an attitude of 'I'll kill more stuff just because I know you want me not to.'

Actually, my sympathy was directed at you and those that share your point of view. I aim to find "win-win" whenever I can. You reminded of the classic exchange in Ferris Bueller:
Snooty Maitre D': I appreciate your understanding.
Ferris: Don't think twice. It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself.
Maitre D': Thank you.
Ferris: Don't mention it.

R/S,

db

Actually, my sympathy was directed at you and those that share your point of view. I aim to find "win-win" whenever I can. You reminded of the classic exchange in Ferris Bueller:
Snooty Maitre D': I appreciate your understanding.
Ferris: Don't think twice. It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself.
Maitre D': Thank you.
Ferris: Don't mention it.

That's enough of a throwing in of the towel for me, plus it has an awesome movie reference (however inapplicable I may think it is).

But I will say this: for someone who claims to despise bullying, you've picked what looks to me like the wrong side, age and number disparites notwithstanding. Not because of the GPO take, but because his reaction when he was called out for doing it and asked not to do it again was a classic bully move.

As soon as he realized that others cared about something an awful lot, his response was to threaten to kill more of them because he could, they didn't want him to, and the rules prevented them from stopping him. Like all bullies, when someone finally gave him his first proverbial bloody nose, he cried foul.

Boo hoo.

Complete outsider to this and haven't been a diver for very long, but I know after reading this thread and seeing the news articles I wouldn't want Bob to be my dive partner, nor some of the other posters.

I just saw this story on Yahoo News - the mention of a "Grateful Diver" kinda cued over to here. There's waaaay too much drama to wade through, but how did a 19yo snotnose punk like this (Al Swearengen on Deadwood would have referred to him as a "lookitup") take an 80-pound octopus by hand? It sounds like the kid took it legally if he did it by hand. I guess it was too late for the Game Wardens to do a quick post-mortem.
Sad to read stuff like that.

...//...Sad to read stuff like that.

@ Rooster in Ohio:

"Seems like every time you turn around there's another hard-luck story that you're gonna hear and there's really nothin' anyone can say and I never did plan to go anyway To Black Diamond Bay." -Dylan.

-done posting on this thread.

I just saw this story on Yahoo News - the mention of a "Grateful Diver" kinda cued over to here. There's waaaay too much drama to wade through, but how did a 19yo snotnose punk like this (Al Swearengen on Deadwood would have referred to him as a "lookitup") take an 80-pound octopus by hand? It sounds like the kid took it legally if he did it by hand. I guess it was too late for the Game Wardens to do a quick post-mortem.
Sad to read stuff like that.

Interestingly, the picture of the octopus spread out on Dylan's garage floor showed a tentacle that had been cut off, and both he and his buddy "lost" their knives in the struggle with the octopus underwater (later recovered by a local dive shop). It's illegal to take an octo using a penetrating weapon; somehow this detail was missed.

It's really irrelevant, though. He beat a 70lb GPO to death in broad daylight at the most popular dive site in Puget Sound in front of other divers, told Bob and Scott that it was a female on eggs, and said he would be coming back the next day to kill another. Several hundred divers in the community reacted to that with a ferocity I've never seen before. I'm glad it has abated somewhat, and efforts are underway to get protection for the GPOs in our favorite dive sites. Shouldn't be controversial, honestly; there are hundreds of miles of rocky shoreline where divers can go if they really must eat an octopus.

In the meantime, the news has spread to Europe and several other countries. Pretty awesome, actually, to get the word out about these incredible animals. Ecotourism is a wonderful business and Seattle has some of the best diving available in the world. I hope it brings more people here to see what we get to see every day.

Cheers!

From Spearboard:

Drama - Page 6 - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

"The problem here is that part of the issue is that the kid went and posted photos all over his facebook page with the octo. Along with those photos, mixed in, is photos of his spearguns and him advocating that he is a spearo. More over, he stated publicly that he liked to spear in an underwater dive park that already is a marine preserve and closed to all harvesting of anykind.
Im afraid the link has already been made. Believe me when I say I hear your cries for spearo rights. I am a vocal advocate with the WDFW in favor of spearing rights here in Wa and have been apart of many of the debates to enhance our fishing rights here. However, what these kids did, WHERE they did, gave us all a huge black eye. The only thing we can do to save face is to stand with the Scuba divers and scream that this was not spearfishing, and no spearo in their right mind would ever harvest there. This is a battle we cannot win, and should not fight for. In this one case. "

I just returned from a meeting to plan our presentation to WDFW for an emergency closure of Seacrest Park to octopus hunting. We started that meeting with an agreement among participants that there are two sides to the issue, and we have to respect the rights of hunters just as much as we want them to respect ours. As a consequence, our approach is going to be very specific, very targeted, and will include consideration and input from hunters.

Toward this end, we also decided to invite Dylan to be one of the presenters on Thursday in Olympia. One of the dive shop owners present has volunteered to ask him tomorrow, as they know each other.

We are not trying to give hunters a black eye ... we're trying to preserve something that's valuable to a lot of people, not just one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Complete outsider to this and haven't been a diver for very long, but I know after reading this thread and seeing the news articles I wouldn't want Bob to be my dive partner, nor some of the other posters.

Having dived with Bob, I'd say it would be your loss. I had a couple of amazing underwater tours, including in Cove 2, and saw quite an array of underwater critters, including GPOs.

Having dived with Bob, I'd say it would be your loss. I had a couple of amazing underwater tours, including in Cove 2, and saw quite an array of underwater critters, including GPOs.

+1 I've dove with Bob as well and you really don't know what you are passing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom