How would you handle a free flowing reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years certified: 24
Certifications held: Various
Agency: PADI
Number of dives: ~900
And if you are an instruc or DM how long have you been one: DM from '91 - '94

Same technique for both situations:
- develop crazed and panicked look
- hyperventilate
- make contact between lense of mask and eyeballs
- lose all situational awareness
- grasp nearesest buddy or other diver and snatch regulator out of their mouth
- suck on stolen regulator too early; inhale mix of salt water and air
- bolt to surface
- despite stupidity, survive unharmed and talk incessantly on the boat about the "close call"

Oh wait, sorry, is this about what you should see or what you normally see?

Is that three breaths between passes or a three count breathe? We do two quick breaths and pass. The whole "exhale to clear reg, inhale, exhale, inhale, pass and blow little bubbles" get a little long winded and the "hale" on each word sometimes confuses students when they are trying to remember which one is first so I have shortened it to "blow, suck, blow, suck, bubble-bubble-bubble". It gets a lot of giggles but they remember to clear the reg before inhaling :D

Three count (on fingers)... breathe as you wish.

Exhaling first is obvious, but good to remind people to exhale through the reg to clear it. In a 3 count, you can get in 2 full relaxed breaths...

What's important in the 3 count on the fingers is that 1 buddy counts... so that both see what's happening, and know when the reg is to be passed.

Years diving: 48
Years certified: 40

Experience with free flows: about zero

Although I see a fair number of free flows at our dive park and on the dive boats, I honestly can't remember the last time I experienced a free flow. In fact, I can't remember any time I've experienced one. It could be that they are such an easy fix that I don't even think of them when they occur (and I've never had a free flow at depth). I de-tune my regs (all are SP Mk10/G250s) and don't have problems with free flows... and they breathe smooth down to 200 feet without adjustment.

Years diving: 48
Years certified: 40

Experience with free flows: about zero

Although I see a fair number of free flows at our dive park and on the dive boats, I honestly can't remember the last time I experienced a free flow. In fact, I can't remember any time I've experienced one. It could be that they are such an easy fix that I don't even think of them when they occur (and I've never had a free flow at depth). I de-tune my regs (all are SP Mk10/G250s) and don't have problems with free flows... and they breathe smooth down to 200 feet without adjustment.

drbill - It would be very unlikely for you to have one...as they mostly occur in extreme cold water diving... followed by gear that is not maintained (lever goes down on second stage, lever does not come back up). And then a group of 1st stage issues, depending on piston versus diaphram and sealed versus not sealed.

That is assuming it is just not a normal everyday, easy to fix, regulator tipped up free flow.

I have a couple of years diving less than you, and have only had one.. when the spring broke that holds the lever up...that one would not stop....I have never seen or heard of that happening before or since (but it was a scubapro reg). There was a tiny flaw in the wire the spring was made from...

WOW this is the easiest post I have ever seen ...

Situation 1: A buddy team of 2 divers begin a dive. A minute or so into the dive one diver has a free flow. After several attempts to stop it, the reg continues to free flow. Divers are about 15' deep. It is a one tank dive and each diver only has one tank. It will be the only dive of the day. How should each member of the buddy team respond to this situation? Please outline a step by step response for each member

First of all I would NEVER dive without a redundant sling bottle at the minimum ... so simple answer ... i go to my back-up air.

Situation 2: A buddy team of two divers are on a dive and 30 minutes into the dive at 55' one diver begins to have a free flow and after several attemps it will not stop. Both divers have 800 psi. It is a one tank dive and each diver only has one tank. It will be the only dive of the day. How should each member of the buddy team respond to this situation? Please outline a step by step response for each member.

First of all I would NEVER dive without a redundant sling bottle at the minimum ... so simple answer ... i go to my back-up air.

wow doesn't that sound redundant?

NOW YOU GET MY POINT

It is a one tank dive and each diver only has one tank

It doesn't say, "each diver carries a pony, stage, deco bottle, spare air, or anything else"

Good answer though. For a different scenario.

Sorry Howard, but i do NOT agree with you ... I am in the northeast, YES there are single tank divers. NO, no one should be diving new jersey waters without a back up gas source. Hence my answer "First of all I would NEVER dive without a redundant sling bottle at the minimum ... so simple answer ... i go to my back-up air."

i didn't think many people would get it so i will expain further, my answer was not only redundant but all of my diving is.

how can you justify this threads situation if the situation should NEVER take place up here? seriously?

answer is simply to the questions posed, "the questions are not apparent"

how can you justify this threads situation if the situation should NEVER take place up here? seriously?

I don't have to justify the question. The question was asked, and clearly stated... MANY people dive in SINGLE tank applications. Maybe not in NJ... but then that's not THIS question.

Most of the people I know who dive in NJ - if they're diving OC - dive doubles. So their answer wouldn't be appropriate to this question either.

THIS question states - "SINGLE TANK" so - really - while your answer is a valid answer in general... it doesn't answer this question.

I would then say... don't answer THIS question. :wink:

Let me see if I get this right: # years, about 20. Certification MSD, PADI. Free flowing reg on a 1 tank dive, buddy present. Yup. It happens. My mouthpiece blew off my reg at a safety stop on a 1 tank dive in Dominica (I think). All I noticed was a blast of air in my face. Thought my buddy was blowing air at me through his purge valve (he can tend to screw around)... until I inhaled. Big whoops on that one - utter confusion. What the ??? Saw my air hose pumping my tank empty into the sea, and recognized that soon I would have no air left. So, I snatched my buddy's octo, and we ascended together. At the surface, he asked me why I didn't go for my own octopus! Because my tank was going empty really really fast, you moron! Ah well. I've become a firm believer in octopus' ever since. If my buddy had not had one, I would have made the out of air sign, let's buddy breathe sign, and then snatched his reg. Well, maybe not that quickly. Hope this helps. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom