How would you handle a free flowing reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This suggestion to shut down the valve on the free flowing tank leaves me with a question.
If it is a cold water dive and freezing is potentially the problem -
Does shutting down diver A's tank (diver with the freeflow) and both divers breathing off
diver B's 1st stage increase the risk of diver B experiencing a freeze? If so, doesn't that
make an undesirable situation even worse?

Dan

I appreciate the responses and there have been some very good ones. The question is not a matter of whether or not to end the dive but the step by step process you would do: can the problem be solved, if so how would one determine that underwater. If not what step by step action would you take.

I asked about years certified, certifications, number of dives and so forth because I wanted to know the exper of the person answering. We had a noob say do CESA as a first resort and an instrc say no that is the last worst option since you still have gas. Other noobs have said, can't solve it don't know what to do---get the surface asap.

I a curious about Dan's question above as well. Although in situation 2 at 55' my tank would have been totally empty if one decided not to shut it down as it went from 3000 to 1100 and that was at 15' So you would be down to one tank with no options if you let the gas supply from the free flow go.

take off your PJ's
take off your underwear
put on clean underwear
put on socks
put on pants
put on shirt
button shirt
button and zip pants
put on shoes
ties shoes
put dirty clothes in the the laundry
put on coat
put on hat
put on gloves

This suggestion to shut down the valve on the free flowing tank leaves me with a question.
If it is a cold water dive and freezing is potentially the problem -
Does shutting down diver A's tank (diver with the freeflow) and both divers breathing off
diver B's 1st stage increase the risk of diver B experiencing a freeze? If so, doesn't that
make an undesirable situation even worse?

Dan
Absolutely. The diver providing the air should make it a point to inhale when the other diver is exhaling to help prevent the working first stage from freezing. This is where a pony or really reliable buddy and cold water gear factors in. Diving cold water is a different animal and there are some environment specific things you need to keep in mind in an emergency. You don't leave it shut down long, you just want to give it a chance to thaw and turn it back on to see if the free flow stopped so you can resume breathing it.

Question to all: During OW training when doing out of air exercises did the instructor emphasize taking turns inhaling rather than both inhaling whenever you felt like it?
Ber :lilbunny:

Question to all: During OW training when doing out of air exercises did the instructor emphasize taking turns inhaling rather than both inhaling whenever you felt like it?

One of the benefits of buddy breathing from one regulator rather than sharing from two seconds. It also forces controlled breathing, which helps in remaining calm.

CESA is a last option. It's an EMERGENCY ascent. When there's gas in the tank... it's not an emergency like when there's no gas in the tank.

In OW this was not done. In my technical training... we would breathe in and count on our fingers. 1...2...3... pass... 1...2...3...pass... and so on.

Yes, and PADI certified. During the class exercises last November, our instructor showed us both types of breathing in OOA incidents. (1) Pass your octo to the OOA diver, clasp arms, signal ascent, do a safe/controlled ascent; and (2) (if no octo available), clasp arms, the diver that is donating their reg HOLDS the reg while the other diver breathes from it, and he/she puts up their fingers counting to two. After two fingers, the diver takes the reg back and breathes for a count of two by showing the fingers during the count, and so on as you both do a safe ascent.

One of the benefits of buddy breathing from one regulator rather than sharing from two seconds. It also forces controlled breathing, which helps in remaining calm.

As long as both people know how to share a single regulator. We introduce the skill to our OW students in the pool but a lot of classes don't.

In OW this was not done. In my technical training... we would breathe in and count on our fingers. 1...2...3... pass... 1...2...3...pass... and so on.

Is that three breaths between passes or a three count breathe? We do two quick breaths and pass. The whole "exhale to clear reg, inhale, exhale, inhale, pass and blow little bubbles" get a little long winded and the "hale" on each word sometimes confuses students when they are trying to remember which one is first so I have shortened it to "blow, suck, blow, suck, bubble-bubble-bubble". It gets a lot of giggles but they remember to clear the reg before inhaling :D

Yes, and PADI certified. During the class exercises last November, our instructor showed us both types of breathing in OOA incidents. (1) Pass your octo to the OOA diver, clasp arms, signal ascent, do a safe/controlled ascent; and (2) (if no octo available), clasp arms, the diver that is donating their reg HOLDS the reg while the other diver breathes from it, and he/she puts up their fingers counting to two. After two fingers, the diver takes the reg back and breathes for a count of two by showing the fingers during the count, and so on as you both do a safe ascent.

The question was actually dealing with an octopus breathing situation where one has the octo and the other the primary rather than single regulator exchange where you have to take turns. Was taking turns inhaling emphasized in an octopus breathing scenario?

See my profile if stats are needed.

First, I would do exactly as NWDG has said, because it works.

I once had a reg freeflow at the surface. No way would it work right.
Having travelled over 90miles for that dive my buddy and I decided on an unorthodox approach.

He went to the bottom at 30ft, I swam down and took his octo. He turned on my air - voila!! - worked perfectly.
We had a lovely dive.

My point is that sometimes the extra pressure at depth will "correct" the slight flaw that causes the reg to freeflow.

I wouldn't recommend the above as the normal course of action to take, but we both knew the quarry well, were good buddies, and had that rare element of trust.

BTW if a reg does freeflow, and you decide to keep it in your mouth, stay horizontal, tilt your head and - with the mouthpiece held half in/half out the excess air will go harmlessly to the surface rather than fill your cheeks. Continue with a horizontal ascent throughout.
Your teeth will be mighty cold though!

Seadeuce

cert: 4years,SSI, aow, rescue,deep water,
dives 99
I've had 4 free flows in 4 years.
SSI training always buddy dive. (free flow) share air call the dive. live to dive another day. Shallow dive no bottom time buddy share straight up surface swim call the dive. Deeper dives slow assent safety stop surface swim call the dive.I posted in october about the 4 second stage free flows and the action taken and Questions about my actions if you would like to check my posts

I asked about years certified, certifications, number of dives and so forth because I wanted to know the exper of the person answering.

If you're so interested in other people's qualifications you ought to do everyone the benefit of filling out your own profile.

Back
Top Bottom