How would my air consumption change on double 50s vs 85s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Steve's underwear... it "depends". :D :D :D (Good to see you around, mate!)

The mass and inertia Steve refers to goes both ways. Once you overcome the inertia to get your tanks moving it wants to keep moving until drag slows it down. It's why we coast. Your trim in the water will affect your drag far more than any variation in tank. Sure, there's some loss with the inertia. In addition to being horizontal, your trim should be effortless. If you're constantly fighting to stay in trim, you're consuming a lot of gas doing so. If it's not effortless, then you need to adjust weights forwards or backwards until it is.

Most people with high SACS tend to have other energy drains like hand sculling or nervous tics. The less you move, the less CO2 you create and the less you need to breathe. You should be able to simply stop mid water and relax with no extraneous movement.

Don't detune the regs. Best case scenario you'll end up with nasty headaches after dives. Worst case scenario you CO2 yourself way back there. It's scary ****. My advice would be to go slower. It should be relaxing. Take your time, make sure buoyancy and trim are spot on, and try to minimize your effort. Reduced RMV comes with experience and comfort. Fitness can help, but my theory is that it really only helps in delaying respiration rate increases and speeding up recovery to normal rate from exertion. Baseline RMV is almost entirely based on comfort and efficiency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom