How women measure up as divers compared to men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, TNRonin, I issue an invitation with every post: "Come dive with me in Thailand"
(see my sig :blinking: )

but then I would somehow be sexist. Nah, it will happen when it happens.

Sent from my DROID X2

but then I would somehow be sexist.
You would? Do you mean that you'd automatically believe yourself to be superior as a result of your gender? I guess I have to take your word for it since you should know yourself! That being the case, I'll withdraw my invitation, at least from this specific post. :outtahere:

LOL. I'm not the sexist.

Sent from my DROID X2

I would rather dive with a woman any day. My gf is the best dive buddy I have ever had. Only she does not do cold water. If I could talk her into water temps below 50 degrees and penetrating wrecks I'd be happy as a clam. Women tend to be more open to communication and compromising in dive planning. I have a handful of male dive buddies I would trust with my life. Every woman I have ever dived with or trained fits into that category. Certain disciplines like natural navigation are easier IMO since women tend to be more visually oriented and take note of more details.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see an issue. I see closed minded males with testosterone issues. All sexes have good and bad divers. I am a good, competent diver but dove with a girl that made me feel like a new OW student just watching her gracefulness and competency. I dove with a lot of males that just simply scare me and I wondered if they actually had a cert card. Yes, I'm a guy but this is a not issue. There are good and bad in men and women. Interesting perception though.

everyone looks the same in a wetsuit with a hood underwater to me

that is not what this thread is about
this thread is about what gender is IN the suit :p

very interesting article to read, somehow it makes a lot of sense

I've never really thought about this, but now that it's been brought up and I'm looking back on my various dive trips, I'd have to agree, to a point. Mostly, it's all just divers and more often than not, people usually do the right thing (I'm lucky to have left the cattle boats behind, where the story is very different).

But, if somebody's going to be a Dive God, it will be male -- I've never met a Dive Goddess. If someone's going to harass the critters, it's likely to be a guy -- I've only seen one woman do it. Reef damage seems to be more about inexperience than gender though if somebody is going to do something on purpose, it will almost certainly be a guy.

I've been fortunate not to run into much of the macho BS that others have written about, which again, may be a function of where I now dive. I'm grateful that for the most part, I get to dive with people who are reasonably good at what they do (regardless of gender), and some of them are just superb. :)

I *never* dive with female buddies!

(Because my wife gets jealous...)

Now you're talking in riddles. ....nevermind....

Well of course, I was on the small screen and didn't see that YOU issued the invite. I read it that I should, which would be sexist. LOL Sorry. Sometimes I really don't like that small screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom