How will your family know what has happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
I found a purse in the river and also used the video rental card to find the person. The weirdest thing was how skeptical and distrustful they seemed of me when I returned the purse - like I was going to try and fleece them or something.

Because it's happened to others Rick.

I can't tell you how many calls I've received from people who've lost property that had identifying info on it, especially phone numbers, and now the finder wants a "reward" for finding it. I wouldn't be surprised if the finder himself or herself has already stolen whatever money and valuables were in the purse or wallet, and still wants more.

Some of those "good samaritans" can get quite persistent with wanting a reward. In one case when told by the owner that they won't get a reward, the finder then began to telephonically harass and eventually threaten the owner. That's why I'm leery of even leaving phone numbers in my wallet.

That's why I only carry in my wallet what I need on a daily basis, plus a bit more for emergencies. I usually only carry $40 cash and rarely more than $100. I only have a debit card and one credit card for purchases and emergencies, all my other financial cards stay home unless needed. That way if my wallet should disappear, I can still cancel the cards easily since I was only carrying two, and I still can buy stuff as I still have the others safely tucked away. I wouldn't be happy about losing the cash, but at least by not carrying large amounts of it I have limited my losses.

I NEVER carry blank checks except when I know I will be writing checks that day, and I only carry the amount of checks that I know I will use. The checkbook stays at home otherwise. Even if the crook doesn't have your signature, your check contains enough info for someone to clean out your account if they know what to look for. Since so many merchants accept debit and credit cards, carrying a checkbook is largely a thing of the past anyway.

I didn't even like carrying my Blue Cross card as until recently the number on it was my Social Security Number, but the benefit of having it in a medical emergency outweighed the risk of possible identity theft should my wallet disappear. Now that Blue Cross has changed their numbering scheme to something other than the members' SSN's, I feel more comfortable having it.

Hey thanks Ron, you just reminded me about the hidden $100 I keep in my wallet, forgot all about it. :D

RonDawg:
Because it's happened to others Rick.

I can't tell you how many calls I've received from people who've lost property that had identifying info on it, especially phone numbers, and now the finder wants a "reward" for finding it. I wouldn't be surprised if the finder himself or herself has already stolen whatever money and valuables were in the purse or wallet, and still wants more.

Some of those "good samaritans" can get quite persistent with wanting a reward. In one case when told by the owner that they won't get a reward, the finder then began to telephonically harass and eventually threaten the owner. That's why I'm leery of even leaving phone numbers in my wallet.
Too sad...:shakehead

Rick Inman:

Ditto.

This also reminds of "No good deed goes unpunished". I have found that one to be true a lot of late.

I still believe an emergency number should be left.

Going back to what Ron said, getting into identity theft, this woman had everything in there. I personally carry two cards; my debit and Amex, nothing more. I rarely write checks, if I need to I will just grab one not the whole book.

If I were an awful person, I could have had a field day with her cards. Saks, MC, Nordstrom, etc. Tons of stuff but nothing with a contact number.

Rick Inman:
hey, the guy asked me what I liked to drink :wink:

dlndavid:
hey, the guy asked me what I liked to drink :wink:
BTW, you got that hundred I asked you to hold for me?

I keep all the contact info for my entire family and closest friends in my wallet. Since I don't carry a cell phone, I can't ICE it.

Fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) here on the island most people know me. If something should happen, they'd know what to do. I do worry when I'm traveling on the mainland where I'm pretty anonymous (whew).

When I met JB, I was dating this guy from LA "the Men's Health Cover Model" as we refer to him.. A very nice guy but a little anal. (One pair of shoes for the car, an identical pair "for the beach"...one of those guys So...he was going running and he filled out a little index card with all my information, name, address, my phone numbers. I ask him what he was doing and he said , "in case I get hit by a car". Well, JB and I started laughing, and we could not stop. Pretty soon, we were crying we were laughing so hard. He got very red faced and said "DO YOU ALL HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY PEOPLE
ALL ACROSS AMERICA ARE IN COMAS, UNCLAIMED?" And we really thought that was funny.

But now that I am cycling...I have some guilt about making fun of him that day...and I slip a credit card or anything with my name on it into my little bike bag under the seat.

It would have never occured to me had he not made such a big deal about it.

Back
Top Bottom